Name: ___________________________Date: ______________ Class: ____________________
World Studies for Georgia Students-Grade 6
Chapter 4: The Geography and History of Europe
Section 1: The Land and People of Europe
Instructions: Read the section and complete each item with words from
the passages in this section.
1. ________________ is located in the northern hemisphere. It is the second-
smallest _________________ and shares the same landmass as Asia to the east.
2. The ________________ Mountains form the western border of the European
Plain. This plain extends from France to _________________.
3. ________________ has many natural borders: the Pyrenees Mountains, the
_______________, and the English Channel.
4. _________________ shares an international border with more countries that
any other nation in Europe.
5. One of the largest countries in Europe, ________________ is mostly plateaus
(broad flat areas of high land) and fertile plains.
6. Most European _________________ are in three main categories: Germanic,
Romance, and Slavic languages.
7. About 20 percent of Europeans speak one of two Germanic languages—
_______________ or ______________— as their native language.
8. Another large group is the ________________ languages, which include
French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish. Romance languages come from
_______________, the language of the ancient Roman Empire.
9. The ________________ languages include Polish, Russian, and Ukrainian,
which generally use a different _______________.
10. Europe is home to many ________________. The three largest are
________________, ________________, and Islam.