10. This division of powers and duties between the national and the state governments is
11. Government is also limited and controlled by dividing it among different ____________,
each of which has different functions.
12. The founders devised a system known as the _________________ of ___________.
Each branch of government would have its powers limited to its own area of
___________, and each must _________________ with the other two branches in
13. The three branches of government are the ________________ branch, which makes
the laws; the __________________ branch, which carries out and enforces the laws;
and the __________________ branch, which interprets how the laws apply to particular
14. The powers of these separate branches of government have limits, however, and each
has ways to keep the other two branches from becoming too ________________. This
system is known as _____________ and _______________.
15. In the United States government, for example, Congress may pass a law, but the
__________________ may ____________ (refuse to approve) it.
16. Because of this arrangement, the three branches must work together to make
government ________________ smoothly.
17. Soon after the new national government wrote and adopted the US Constitution in
1788, ________________ responded with the Constitution of __________, which made
its government structure like the ________________ one.
18. The current [Georgia] one [Constitution] was adopted in ________.