University of Guelph - Internal MTA for Biohazards - May 2019 2 of 2
Terms for the internal transfer of biological materials:
This Internal Biological Material Transfer Agreement (“IBMTA”) provides a record of the transfer of biological
material owned by University of Guelph (UofG) but controlled and supplied by PROVIDER SCIENTIST and
supplied to RECIPIENT SCIENTIST, both employees of the UofG. This IBMTA aims to facilitate the productive,
efficient and fair sharing of valuable biological materials between UofG researchers.
The SCIENTISTS agree as follows:
1. MATERIAL: means all Original Material, and the progeny and unmodified derivatives of the Original Material.
2. The RECIPIENT SCIENTIST agrees that the MATERIAL:
a. Shall only be used in the RECIPIENT SCIENTIST’s laboratory under the direction of the RECIPIENT
SCIENTIST or others working under his/her direct supervision;
b. Shall only be used for Research Purposes; and
c. Shall not be used in human or companion animal subjects, in clinical trials or for diagnostic purposes
involving human or companion animal subjects without the confirmation of all regulatory and
University of Guelph ethical approvals
d. Shall not be transferred to anyone else within University of Guelph not under Recipient Scientist’s
supervision or control
e. Shall not be transferred to any external third party without the prior written consent of the
Research Innovation Office and PROVIDER SCIENTIST
3. The RECIPIENT SCIENTIST agrees to refer to PROVIDER SCIENTIST any request for the MATERIAL from
anyone other than those persons working under the RECIPIENT SCIENTIST’s direct supervision.
4. The RECIPIENT SCIENTIST is free to report inventions made through the use of the MATERIAL to the
Research Innovation Office, University of Guelph but agrees to notify the PROVIDER SCIENTIST before
submitting such report of invention.
5. The RECIPIENT SCIENTIST agrees to provide appropriate acknowledgement of the source of the
MATERIAL in all publications, including offering the PROVIDER SCIENTIST co-authorship on publications
related to the MATERIAL, when ethically applicable.
6. This IBMTA will terminate two (2) year(s) following the Effective Date.
7. The RECIPIENT SCIENTIST assumes all risk and responsibility in connection with the receipt, handling,
storage, disposal, transfer and use of the MATERIAL, including without limitation taking all appropriate safety
and handling precautions to minimize health and environmental risks to employees, staff, students and the
8. The PROVIDING SCIENTIST warrants that it has the right to transfer the MATERIAL under this agreement.
9. Paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 shall survive termination of this agreement
10. The RECIPIENT SCIENTIST assumes all responsibility for obtaining any permits or approvals required
to handle the MATERIAL according to UofG policies. For guidance contact: the University’s Biosafety
Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org, 519-824-4120 x53190 https://www.uoguelph.ca/hr/hr-services-
11. The PROVIDER SCIENTIST must forward a fully executed pdf copy of this IBMTA to the Biosafety
Officer (email@example.com) and the Technology Transfer & Agreements Assistant
(firstname.lastname@example.org). Electronic signatures and documents are preferred.