Evidence we can accept
Proof of identity can be any of
• Birth, marriage or divorce certiﬁcate,
separation or annulment papers
(in your current name).
• Passport (current and valid).
• TV licence in your name.
• Medical card.
• Gas, electricity, phone or water rates bill,
in your name for the last quarter
(but not a mobile phone bill).
• Full driving licence (photo card or paper).
• Certiﬁcate of employment in HM Forces
or Merchant Navy.
• Letter from solicitor, social worker
or probation ofﬁcer.
• UK Border Agency documents, relating
to entry into the UK.
Proof of your National Insurance number:
• P45 or P60.
• Bank statements showing payments by
direct debit for Class 2 National Insurance
contributions or receipt of state beneﬁts.
• Pay slips or salary statement or works
pension statement. These must show
your National Insurance number.
• Ofﬁcial letter sent to you by the
Department for Work and Pensions,
Jobcentre or HMRC tax department
(not hand written).
• National Insurance card.
Proof of income and capital:
• Payslips (your last ﬁve weekly, your last three
fortnightly or your last two monthly payslips).
• Trading accounts for the last ﬁnancial year
if you are self-employed. If you have been
trading for less than a year we will contact
you regarding the information we need.
• State beneﬁt or HMRC tax credit award letters.
• Bank, building society or post ofﬁce
account pass books or statements
(we must see statements showing all
transactions for the last two months
for each account you have).
• Share certiﬁcates or dividend statements
for stocks, shares and premium bonds.
Proof of rent:
• Tenancy agreement – which is less than
52 weeks old.
• If your tenancy agreement is more than
52 weeks old we will need conﬁrmation
in writing from your landlord or property
agent conﬁrming the amount of rent you
have to pay and any services included in
• Rent book.
The evidence for proof of rent must
provide the following information:
• The full name and business or home address
of the owner or agent of the property.
• The date the tenancy agreement started.
• The amount of current rent payable.
• What is included in the rent eg heating,
lighting, cleaning, water rates, meals,
personal care, general counselling
• The payment period or frequency eg
weekly, monthly, four weekly.
Norwich City Council: City Hall, St. Peter’s Street, Norwich NR2 1NH
t: 0344 980 3333 e: beneﬁts@norwich.gov.uk
This is not a full list of evidence which can be accepted. Please contact us for
other types of proof. Please provide proof of all your income and capital.
If you require this form in another language or format,
eg large print, CD or Braille, please call
0344 980 3333
or email email@example.com