1. ✦ Check the physician’s orders.
2. ✦ Perform hand hygiene.
3. ✦ Assemble the equipment.
4. ✶ Check the name, concentration,
and expiration date of the
irrigating solution three times.
5. ✶ Identify the patient, and explain
6. ✦ Apply gloves.
7. ✦ Have the patient sit with the
aected ear tilted slightly
8. ✦ Place a towel over the patient’s
shoulder, and ask the patient to
hold the kidney-shaped emesis
basin against the neck below the
ear to catch run-o ﬂuid.
9. ✶ Clean the external ear with a
moistened cotton ball.
10. ✶ Pour the warmed solution into a
sterile basin and ﬁll the syringe
with 50 mL of solution.
11. ✶ For adults, pull the earlobe up and
back to straighten the ear canal;
for children under 3 years, pull
the earlobe down and back to
straighten the ear canal.
12. ✶ Expel air from the syringe and
insert the tip into the ear canal;
aim the stream of ﬂow toward the
roof of the canal (Figure A).
13. ✶ Repeat until the return from the
ear is clear.
14. ✦ Remove the basin, dry the outer
ear, and remove the towel.
✦ = 3–6 points
✶ = 7–9 points
Procedure_37-1 to 38-9.indd Page 32 26/04/17 1:14 PM F-0050 /206/PH03233/9780134473062_BEAMAN/BEAMAN_PEARSON_COMPREHENSIVE_MEDICAL_ASSISTING_ ...