1. ✦ Gather all supplies and
information. Log in to the EHR,
and access the medical records
2. ✶ Verify the identity of the patient if
you have not already done so.
3. ✦ Conﬁrm with the patient the
information requested, the
intended recipient, and the
4. ✦ Fill in the corresponding ﬁelds
on the form or screen for the
patient’s name, the information
requested, and the name and
address of the intended recipient.
5. ✦ Ask the patient to sign and date
the form in the designated place.
6. ✶ Visually verify the signature and
date to ensure the form was
7. ✦ Inform the patient approximately
when the information will be
released, according to oce
8. ✦ If the patient is not present, print
out the form and highlight the
spaces to be completed. Place
the form and return instructions in
an envelope, apply postage, and
9. ✶ Save the screen in the EHR, and
conﬁrm that the request is to
be sent to the medical records
department. If using a paper form,
route the completed form to the
medical records department.
✦ = 3–6 points
✶ = 7–9 points
Procedure_09-1 to 13-6.indd Page 74 26/04/17 11:07 AM f-424 /206/PH03233/9780134473062_BEAMAN/BEAMAN_PEARSON_COMPREHENSIVE_MEDICAL_ASSISTING_ ...