1. ✦ Check physician’s orders.
2. ✦ Assemble the equipment.
3. ✶ Identify the patient, and explain
4. ✶ Check the medication label
three times for the correct
name, expiration date, and
5. ✦ If the medication is cold, warm it
by rolling the bottle between the
6. ✦ Perform hand hygiene and don
7. ✶ Have the patient tilt the head
away from the aected ear or
lie down with the aected ear
8. ✶ Pull the earlobe up and back for
an adult (Figure A), or down and
back for a child (Figure B).
9. ✶ Place the dropper in the ear canal
without touching the sides of the
canal (Figure C).
10. ✶ Instill the appropriate number of
eardrops along the side of the
11. ✦ Instruct the patient to remain in
the same position for three to ﬁve
12. ✶ Give instructions for home care if
needed. Ask if the patient has any
13. ✦ Dispose of the equipment and
clean the area.
✦ = 3–6 points
✶ = 7–9 points
Procedure_37-1 to 38-9.indd Page 36 26/04/17 1:14 PM F-0050 /206/PH03233/9780134473062_BEAMAN/BEAMAN_PEARSON_COMPREHENSIVE_MEDICAL_ASSISTING_ ...