1/31/2018, Page 2
• Students may apply for full-time CPT (more than 20
hours of work per week) or part-time CPT (20 hours or less of work
• Students who have received one year or more of full time curricular practical training (CPT) are ineligible for post-
completion academic training (OPT).
• Students must apply for CPT authorization regardless of whether an internship is paid or unpaid. The student and the
employer must review the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) laws before agreeing to an unpaid internship. The following
Department of Labor sheet provides valuable information on this issue:
• CPT authorization is only available for internships within the United States. A separate process will be required to intern
with companies outside of the U.S.
• Students must not complete any work outside of the CPT dates listed on the I-20, including attending a company
• A change in CPT employer will not be approved if a CPT I-20 has already been issued. Students must submit the full
application again if a change in employment occurs before the CPT I-20 is issued, or if a change of employer is required
to meet the requirements of the course.
• If an extension of CPT is required, then students must submit the full application again to receive an updated CPT I-20.
• Applications must be submitted two weeks prior to the requested start date of employment.
• Applications must be received no later than the last date to add/drop during the fall and spring semesters.
Review the CPT Power Point on the forms web page: https://www.ucmo.edu/graduate/current/Forms.cfm#CPT and/or
attend a scheduled CPT workshop.
Complete and pass the CPT quiz, found on the forms web page.
Submit the CPT Application, found on the forms web page.
Submit this completed CPT Agreement form to email@example.com, it must be completed and signed by your employer and
academic department .
Provide a job offer letter that includes the following requirements. Or, provide a job offer letter and a supporting letter from
the employer that includes all requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Offer Letter Checklist:
On company letterhead
Date letter issued
Start and end dates of training/CPT
Number of hours per week to be worked
Physical location/address where student will physically be working
A brief description of the duties to be performed. All duties must be directly related to program of study.
Signed by employer
The following statement from the employer: "We agree to cooperate with the University of Central Missouri in
achieving the curricular purposes
of the employment/training for this student".