International Student CenterLiberty University, 1971 University Blvd., Lynchburg, VA 24515
Phone (434) 592-4118Fax (434) firstname.lastname@example.org www.liberty.edu/isc
Optional Practical Training (OPT) Application
Name: LU Student ID#:
General Information: OPT is a benefit for F-1 international students at the completion of their associates, bachelor’s, master’s, or
doctoral degree. It offers students up to 12 months of employment authorization to gain practical experience in their major area of
1. You may apply up to 90 days before and no more than 60 days after your official degree conferral (graduation) date.
2. You must complete your program during the semester in which you apply for OPT. If there is a possibility that you
might not complete your degree requirements, you should consider applying after your degree is conferred. Note: This is
likely not the date of the graduation ceremony.
3. A specific job offer is not required.
4. Unless you graduate with a STEM degree, OPT cannot be extended past 12 months total. All OPT must be used within
14 months following graduation.
5. You are not eligible to apply for OPT once you begin a new program of study.
6. Your passport must be valid.
How to Apply
STEP 1–Attend an OPT workshop and bring the following items to meet with your International Student Advisor (ISA):
1. Completed Application for Employment Authorization (Form I-765) typed not handwritten.
2. Completed form G-1145 for electronic filling updates (optional) typed not handwritten.
3. Color photocopies of your Form I-20 (including all previous I-20s ever issued). Do not staple!
4. Color photocopies of your Passport (visa and photo page)
5. Color photocopies of your Form I-94 (White card usually stapled inside the passport. Copy both the front and
the back side of the card.) OR copy of I-94 stamp inside the passport AND electronic copy found on the U.S.
Customs and Border Protection website.
6. Money Order for $410.00 made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security or completed Form G-1450
7. Two passport-type photos (Must meet US CIS Color Photograph Specifications). Photos must be less than 30
days old and can be taken at Card Services Office. Lightly write your name in pencil on the back of photos.
8. Color photocopies of any previous Employment Authorization Documents.
9. Verification that your degree will be conferred this semester. That means you have no remaining courses or
other requirements beyond the current semester. (Signature required below)
10. Approval from the Embedded International Student Accounts Representative. (Signature required below)
TO BE COMPLETED BY THE ACADEMIC EVALUATOR (Registrar’s Office):
Expected Degree Conferral Date: ____/____/______ Program of Study: _______________________________
Academic Evaluator Name: __________________________________________________________________
Academic Evaluator Signature: ________________________________________________________________
STEP 2 – Pick up your OPT I-20 two business days after meeting with your International Student Advisor (ISA).
STEP 3 – Mail OPT application by FedEx within 20 days to (use address below if mailing from Virginia):
Attn: NFB AOS
2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business
Lewisville, TX 75067
STEP 4 – Receive OPT application receipt from USCIS in about 30 days.
STEP 5– Receive OPT card from USCIS (can take 90 days or more from application date).
STEP 6– Send copy of your OPT card to your ISA by fax or email. Create your SEVP Portal account and update your employer