City of Kankakee
Kankakee Day Parade 2020
PARADE RULES, REGULATIONS AND OFFICIAL PARADE PROCEDURES
• A parade application (available on line) must be submitted by Friday, May 15, 2020.
• Failure to submit an application could disqualify unit from parade participation.
• The parade route will start on Chestnut and Schuyler and end on Indiana and Hickory.
• Participation in the parade shall be limited to Kankakee, surrounding area businesses and residents.
PARADE RULES & REGULATIONS
• Every business or organization is allowed to enter a float, musical unit, precision demonstration or decorated vehicle.
• All drivers must possess a valid driver’s license and registration for the vehicle. Floats must conform to the regulations.
• No float may exceed 13.5 feet in height due to traffic lights and power lines. In addition, floats may not exceed 21 feet
in width. Please measure the total entry length, including the vehicle, tow bar, and float to ensure sufficient spacing for
the staging area.
• Persons riding on floats shall be located on the main part of the float and positioned in such a way so as not to
obstruct the vision of the operator.
• Persons shall remain on the unit to which they are assigned to the end of the parade route, except in case of
• All entries having music or sound amplifying systems shall maintain a volume that will not interfere with other entries,
especially those with animals. If a unit is informed by a parade official that the noise generated by their unit is too loud,
they shall immediately turn the volume down.
• All unmanned aerial systems, UAVs, drones or other flying devices are strictly prohibited during the parade.
• Throwing or distribution of items of any kind from a float or parade unit is strictly forbidden. You may have “walkers”
who can pass out or throw wrapped candy to spectators on edge of parade route in a safe manner.
• Delaying or stopping the forward motion is strictly prohibited. Failure to comply can ban you from participating in
• 20 feet should be maintained between delegations throughout parade route. Movement must be in a
forward motion, maintaining specific intervals. Please cooperate with parade officials and police.
• All animal units must be registered by parade application. Participants must provide street cleaning services following
horses and dogs in assembly area along the parade route. Caged animals and/or animals on a leash deemed dangerous
to the public are not permitted.
• Inappropriate conduct or behavior on the part of any unit or individuals will be immediately removed from the parade
by parade officials or police.
• Participants will ensure that all trash is properly disposed of in receptacles while in the
assembly and dispersal areas.
• Participants are responsible for maintaining order and responding to any order by parade
officials or police. Failure to comply will eliminate participation.