Bert L. Thomas Endowed Scholarship Fund
The Bert L. Thomas Endowed Scholarship Fund was established in memory of Bert L. Thomas, a
former trustee of Jacksonville University, by his friends and associates at Winn-Dixie Stores. Mr.
Thomas was president of Winn-Dixie at the time of his death, and memorial gifts were made by
his friends, Winn-Dixie suppliers and the Winn-Dixie Company. After the initial gifts, a memorial
golf tournament was held for several years to add to the corpus of the endowment fund. The
tournament has been discontinued.
The purpose of the fund is to provide scholarship assistance to business majors who work to
provide a portion of their college expenses.
Awards will be for $1,000 or more, and may be renewed to juniors who remain in good
1. You must be pursuing a major in the Davis College of Business;
2. You must be an undergraduate junior, senior or graduate student at the time of
3. You must have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA;
4. You must submit a short essay telling a story about yourself for review by the
5. You must provide an unofficial transcript;
6. Preference given to students working to help pay for their educational expenses.
Apply for the scholarship using the below application. Return a) your completed
application, b) a copy of your current unofficial JU transcript and c) your essay to the
Dean's office in the Davis College of Business or email email@example.com by
March 18, 2020.