Center for Student Success
Swisher Library, 3
G:\Tutor - HIRE - JU\Peer Tutor Referral_Faculty plk 7-15.docx
PEER TUTORIAL PROGRAM
Peer Tutor Responsibilities and Qualifications
Peer tutors provide individual and small group tutoring to all Jacksonville University students.
Their main goal is to provide each student with the tools needed to achieve academic success.
Beyond sharing content expertise, peer tutors need to gently, but firmly encourage each student to
become an independent learner and problem solver. Peer tutors act as coaches, teammates, and
role-models. Skillful communication and confidence building are integral parts of the
Exemplary peer tutors possess a positive outlook, a strong desire to help others succeed, and a
deeply empathic nature. Initiative, conscientiousness, punctuality, courage, humor, and academic
excellence are also required.
1. Maintain mastery of the subject matter being tutored
2. Complete 10 hours of Tutor Training & ongoing training each semester
3. Offer tutoring that is student-centered
4. Hold tutorial sessions in the assigned area at the assigned time(s)
5. Establish supportive relationships with students, faculty, and staff
6. Communicate well and cooperate with students, faculty, and staff
7. Accept and respond to evaluations of your work by students and supervisors
Be currently enrolled at Jacksonville University
Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
Maintain a B average or higher in courses of tutoring expertise
Display enthusiasm for learning & helping others
Demonstrate strong interest in tutored subject matter
Show a deep desire to help other students with their individual learning process
Understand various learning strategies and learning environments
Recognize that students have unique learning styles
Have great initiative and a strong work ethic
Demonstrate reliability and punctuality
Be greatly respected by their professors!
Thank you for supporting the Center for Student Success!