Page 8 | 12
DEPARTMENT PART TIME FIRE FIGHTER (PTFF) JOB DESCRIPTION
I. Purpose of the Position
1. To provide a component of on duty manpower on an as needed basis to facilitate the delivery and support of
Department services and functions as assigned by the Chief. Duties shall include, but not be limited to, fire
suppression activities, delivery of pre-hospital care to the sick and injured, Hazmat services, fire prevention
activities, Department training, pre-planning, code enforcement, maintenance and administration.
In accordance with the stated intent, PTFF personnel shall possess and maintain such qualifications as determined
by the Chief and are needed to fill the purpose of the position. As a minimum, the following certifications or
equivalent listed below must be held at probationary appointment and must be maintained during employment.
1. State certified interior Firefighter / Essentials of Firefighting or Equivalent
2. Certified Structure burn class
3. State approved Emergency Vehicle Operations certification.
4. State approved Hazmat Operations certification.
5. Valid State of PA EMS Certification (minimum of EMR) At time of Hiring.
6. Possess the knowledge/skill to perform duties and functions described in NFPA Fire Fighter1001, 1992
edition, as designated by the Chief.
7. NIMS 700 certification
8. At time of application, be at least 18 years of age, possess a valid driver's license and have a high school
diploma or equivalent. Driver's license must be maintained at all times.
III. Equipment Operated
1. All emergency response apparatus and associated equipment including personal protective gear.
2. All apparatus and equipment which provide direct or indirect support to Department emergency or non-emergency
3. All equipment needed for the maintenance and care of Department property used by the Department.
IV. Essential Functions
1. Extinguishment of the fires, working as a member of a team using appropriate gear, tools and extinguishing
agents. This function will include, but not be limited to:
a. The donning/doffing of full turnout gear including SCBA.
b. The use of SCBA under emergency conditions with reduced visibility and limited area.
c. Advancement of charged and uncharged hand lines into structures, and up ladders to upper floors.
d. Operation of 1-3/4 inch hand line flowing 125 GPM for one minute unaided, and operation of a 2-1/2
inch line flowing 250 GPM for one minute with the assistance of one other fire fighter.
e. Ability to climb the full length of each type of ladder in the Department in full gear and perform fire
suppression and rescue functions.
f. Deployment of a 24 foot extension ladder from a pumper to a second floor window unaided in the standard
2. Provide Department related medical services according to Department of Health policy. This function will
include, but not be limited to, the following functions: