NYLT Statement of Understanding and Code of Conduct
Statement of Understanding:
All NYLT course staff and Participants are selected to represent their local councils based on their
qualifications in character, camping skills, physical and personal fitness, and leadership qualities. Therefore,
NYLT course staff, participants and their parents or guardians are asked to read this Code of Conduct and
Statement of Understanding as a condition of participation. It is with the further understanding that serious
misconduct or infraction of rules and regulations may result in expulsion from the NYLT course. Ultimately,
we want each staff member and participant to be responsible for his or her own behavior, and only when
necessary will the procedure be invoked to send a staff member or participant home from the NYLT course.
Code of Conduct:
1. The Scout Oath and Law will be my guide throughout the NYLT Course.
2. I will set a good example by keeping myself neatly dressed and presentable in the proper NYLT course
3. I will attend all scheduled programs and participate as required in cooperation with the NYLT course staff
4. I will be responsible for keeping my tent and personal gear labeled, clean and neat. I will do more than my
share to prevent littering of the BSA Camp we are using.
5. I understand that the purchase, possession, or consumption of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs by any
NYLT course staff and participants is prohibited. Any violation of this code will be grounds for expulsion.
6. Serious and/or repetitive behavior violations by youth, including use of tobacco, cheating, stealing,
dishonesty, swearing, fighting, and cursing, will result in expulsion from the NYLT course.
7. I understand that gambling of any form is prohibited.
8. I understand that improper use of lasers and fireworks may result in expulsion from the NYLT course.
9. I will demonstrate respect for NYLT course and BSA Camp property and be personally responsible for
any loss, breakage, or vandalism of property as a result of my actions.
10. Neither NYLT Course Staff nor the BSA Camp Staff will be responsible for loss, breakage, or theft of
personal items. I will label all my personal items and leave items of value at home. Theft will be grounds for
11. While participating in any NYLT course activities, I will obey the safety rules and instructions of all staff
12. In accordance with U.S., local and state laws, adult leaders and all youth are prohibited from having
firearms and weapons in their possession.
13. Scoutmasters and assistants will be guided by the Scout Oath and Scout Law and will obey all U.S.,
local, and state laws.
14. All NYLT Course staff (adults and youth) must receive Youth Protection training prior to course, and
follow these guidelines at all times while on course.
15. Hazing or any action which fails to show respect for an individual, has no place in Scouting.
16. Serious violations of this code may result in expulsion from the NYLT course. All decisions will be final.
17. I certify that I have read the Statement of Understanding and agree to abide by the conditions in the Code
of Conduct of the NYLT course.
(Signature of Scout) (Signature of Guardian)
All NYLT Course adult leaders are responsible for the supervision of all course staff and participants in
respect to maintaining discipline, security, safety, and the NYLT Code of Conduct.