1. ✦ Assemble necessary appointment
2. ✶ Obtain the patient’s full legal
name and correct spelling, birth
date, full address, telephone
contacts (home, oce, cell), and
3. ✦ Record the patient’s chief
complaint and symptoms.
4. ✶ Request the name of the patient’s
insurance carrier and policy
5. ✦ Ask how the patient was referred
to the medical oce (physician
referral, friend, colleague,
insurance company, etc.).
6. ✦ Ask if the patient has a preference
for morning or afternoon
7. ✦ Attempt to accommodate the new
patient’s request for a preferred
8. ✦ Conﬁrm the day, date, and time
of the appointment and have
the new patient repeat the
information for veriﬁcation and
9. ✦ Advise the patient of any need
to arrive early, before the ocial
appointment time, to complete
paperwork, such as the patient
history form and HIPAA consent.
10. ✦ Provide the new patient with
directions to the oce.
✦ = 3–6 points
✶ = 7–9 points
Procedure_09-1 to 13-6.indd Page 6 26/04/17 8:06 AM f-424 /206/PH03233/9780134473062_BEAMAN/BEAMAN_PEARSON_COMPREHENSIVE_MEDICAL_ASSISTING_ ...