Building & Zoning Department
215 S. Broadway, Louisburg, KS 66053
913-837-5811 · louisburgkansas.gov
Final Inspection Checklist
This checklist is not intended as an all-inclusive list for obtaining a “Certificate of Occupany.” This is to
serve only as a guideline to inform you of items that are inspected during the Final Inspection. Each
project is different and may require inspection of items not included on this list. Inspection and
operation of “Life Safety” items are the No. 1 priority in receiving an approval for Occupany. In no case
shall an individual, company or corporation occupy any building or structure without first obtaining a
final inspection and a “Certificate of Occupancy.” Violators are subject to fines and other penalties
under local law as well as removal from the premises.
1. Installation, location and operation of all smoke detectors.
2. Size, location and operation of all required egress windows.
3. Installation and operation of all outlets and required GFCI-protected outlets.
4. Installation and operation of doors and hardware.
5. Installation of all electrical devices, lighting fixtures and cover plates.
6. County approval of septic system, if applicable.
7. Installation of HVAC system and all required vents and registers.
8. Run and rise of all stairways and required handrails.
9. Installation of all required guardrails.
10. Proper placement of required “tempered” window units.
11. Operation of plumbing system.
12. Construction of all exterior decks or balconies not in place at the time of the rough-in
13. Proper circuit indentification, marking and working clearances of electrical panels.
14. Installation of all required walks, paths of egress and landings at yards, doorways and stairs.
15. Installation and location of attic and crawl space access.
16. Chimney and flue placement.
17. Required roof ventilation.
18. Installation of required Back-flow prevention devices.
19. Compliance with local zoning requirements.
20. Compliance with landscaping requirements.
21. Required clearances to combusibles at fireplaces, furnaces, wood stoves and fuel-burning
22. Storage of flammable materials and combustible debris.