Building & Zoning Department
215 S. Broadway, Louisburg, KS 66053
913-837-5811 · louisburgkansas.gov
1. In the last year, have you seen or heard any information from the City of Louisburg relating to pipeline safety?
Yes ______ No ______
If yes, what was the source of the information (check all that apply)
______ Written material (brochure, flyer, handout)
______ Newspaper ad or article
______ Face-to-face meeting
______ Posted information (e.g. on or near pipeline)
______ Other: _______________________________________________________________________________
2. What party needs to call Kansas One Call and request locates for underground utilities before excavation?
______ The homeowner, business owner or whoever hires the excavator(s)
______ Always the general contractor
______ Always the subcontractor when there is one
______ ANY person(s) engaged directly in excavation activities
______ Don’t know
3. How often would you say your equipment operator checks whether a pipeline exists before digging in a new spot?
______ Always ______ Usually ______ Sometimes ______ Rarely or never ______Don’t know
4. The person(s) engaging directly in excavation activities should always keep a copy of the valid Kansas One Call locate
request (ticket) at the excavation site.
______ True ______ False
5. The proper gas company number(s) and/or emergency contact name(s) to call if there is a facility damage, an
emergency, or if you need more information, is:
______ City of Louisburg Utility Office at 913-837-5371
______ Miami County Local Emergency Planning Coordinator
______ Any of the above
6. How do you detect a natural gas leak?
______ A “gas smell” (distinct rotten egg or sulfur-like odor)
______ Discolored or dead vegetation near a pipeline
______ Bubbling in standing water
______ Fire apparently coming from the ground or burning above the ground
______ A shrill blowing or hissing sound
______ All of the above
7. What should you do if you contact and damage a natural gas facility that causes gas to leak?
______ Turn off machinery or equipment in the immediate area and remove all known sources of ignition
______ Move upwind of the leaking and/or blowing gas
______ Call 9-1-1
______ Call the gas company
______ Take any other action as may be reasonably necessary to protect persons and property and to minimize
hazards until arrival of the operator’s personnel or emergency first responders
______ All of the above