Michigan Department of Treasury
2602 (Rev. 1-04)
Request to Rescind Homeowner's Principal Residence Exemption
Issued under authority of Public Act 267 of 1994.
I certify under penalty of perjury the information contained on this document is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.
13. Effective date of the change listed in either 11 or 12
Month Day Year
This form must be filed with the assessor for the city or township where the property is located.
Print or type in blue or black ink. Use a separate form for each property number.
What is the first year this change will be posted to the tax roll?
Indicate property classification
11. I am rescinding this property because (check appropriate box(es) below):
12. If the portion of the property in line 1 that you own and occupy as your principal
residence has changed, enter the new percentage here 12.
41. Property Tax Identification Number 42. ZIP Code
43. Street Address of Property
5. County
46. Name of Owner (First, Middle, Last)
48. Name of Co-Owner (First, Middle, Last) 49. Co-Owner's Social Security Number
47. Owner's Social Security Number
15a. New Owner's Name 15b. New Co-Owner's Name
16. Owner's Signature 17. Co-Owner's SignatureDate Date
18. Mailing Address, if Different than Property Address Above
19. Closing Agent or Preparer's Name and Mailing Address
Property Information
Local Government Use Only -- Do Not Write Below This Line
4. Name of Township or City
a. I am no longer the owner of the property.
b. I own the property, but I no longer occupy the property as my principal residence.
c. I have converted the property to rental property.
d. I have converted the property to commercial property.
14. This recission applies to:
a. Owner and Co-owner as listed in boxes 6 and 8 above.
b. Owner only, as listed in box 6 above.
c. Co-owner only, as listed in box 8 above.
10. Property owner's daytime phone number ________________________.
Reset Form
General Instructions
This form enables people who are selling or converting their
home to another use to rescind their exemption. It also
enables people to change the percentage that they occupy as
their principal residence.
Interest and Penalty. If it is determined that you claimed
property that is not your principal residence, you may be
subject to the additional tax plus penalty and interest as
determined under the Property Tax Act.
Line-by-Line Instructions
Lines not listed here are explained on the form.
Property Information
Line 1. Property is identified with a property tax
identification number. This number will be found on your tax
bill and on your property tax assessment notice. Enter this
number in the space indicated. If you cannot find this
number, call your township or city assessor. Submit a
separate Form 2602 for each exemption being rescinded.
Your property number is vital; without it, your township or
city cannot adjust your property taxes accurately.
Lines 2-5. Enter the complete property address of the
exemption you are rescinding. Check the appropriate box for
the city or township. If you live in a village, list the township
in which the principal residence is located.
Lines 6-10. Enter the name, Social Security Number(s) and
daytime telephone number of the legal owner(s). Do not
include information for a co-owner who does not occupy the
principal residence.
Note: The request for the Social Security Number is
authorized under section 42 USC 405 (c) (2) (C) (i). It is used
by the Department of Treasury to verify tax exemption claims
and to deter fraudulent filings. Any use of the number by
closing agents or local units of government is illegal and
subject to penalty.
Change an Existing Exemption
You are required to rescind a principal residence exemption
when you no longer own and occupy the property as your
principal residence. The exemption will be removed December
31st of the year you rescind the exemption.
Line 11. Check the box(es) that most accurately reflects
reason you are rescinding your exemption.
Line 12. If you own and live in a multiple-unit or
multi-purpose property (e.g. a duplex or apartment building,
or a storefront with an upstairs flat), you can claim an
exemption only for the portion that you use as your
principal residence. Calculate your portion by dividing the
floor area of your principal residence by the floor area of the
entire building.
If the parcel of property you are claiming has more than
one home on it, you must determine the percentage that you
own and occupy as your principal residence. A second
residence on the same property (e.g. a mobile home or second
house), is not part of your principal residence even if it is not
rented to another person. Your local assessor can tell you the
assessed value of each residence to help you determine the
percentage that is your principal residence.
If you rent part of your home to another person, you may
have to prorate your exemption. If your home is a single-
family dwelling and the renters enter through a common door
of your living area to get to their rooms, you may claim 100
percent exemption if less than 50 percent of your home is
rented to others who use it as a residence. However, if part of
the home was converted to an apartment with a separate
entrance, you must calculate the percentage that is your
principal residence, by dividing the floor area of your princi-
pal residence by the floor area of the entire building.
Line 13. Enter the date that the change(s) indicated on lines
11 and 12 above became effective.
Line 14. Select the appropriate box.
Line 15. If this recision is being done because of a change in
ownership, list the new owner and, if applicable, co-owner on
the appropriate lines.
Sign and date the form. Enter your mailing address if it is
different from the address on line 3.
Mailing Information
Mail your completed form to the township or city assessor in
which the property is located. This address may be on your
most recent tax bill or assessment notice. Do not send this
form directly to the Department of Treasury.
If you have any questions, visit our Web site at
www.michigan.gov/treasury or call 1-800-827-4000.
Instructions for Form 2602,
Request to Rescind Homeowners Principal Residence Exemption