© Clairmont Press, Inc. DO NOT DUPLICATE 1-800-874-8638
Chapter 9 Georgia in the Trustee Period 43
Section 1 Georgia’s Founding
Explain the Charter of 1732
Directions: Use the information on page 191 to learn about the charter that helped establish the colony.
1. Deﬁne charter. __________________________________________________________________________________
2. In your own words, describe what the charter did. _____________________________________________________
3. Write the motto that was adopted by the trustees, and explain what you think it meant to them.
(It may help to refer back to the reasons the charter was established.) _____________________________________
4. In whose honor was the colony named? _____________________________________________________________
5. How long did the charter grant control of the colony to the trustees? ______________________________________
6. Why do you suppose there were a deﬁned number of years for trustee control? ______________________________
7. What limit was placed on making laws? ______________________________________________________________
8. Why do you think the king imposed the limit? _________________________________________________________
9. How did the trustees work around this limitation? _____________________________________________________
10. e charter prevented the trustees from making any proﬁt from the colony. How do you believe this restriction
is related to the reasons for establishing the colony and to the motto? _____________________________________
11. A charter is essentially a legal contract between two groups of people—in this case, the trustees and the king.
Name a few examples of similar agreements used in our lives today. ______________________________________