Page 2 of 2 Updated: 5.1.2020
Substitution/Waiver Information and Instructions
See online catalog for SCC course information.
This form should ideally be completed and submitted well in advance of petitioning for your
degree and/or certificate.
Please identify your major when completing this form as this may affect the outcome of the
Please identify the term in which you intend to graduate when completing this form.
If you are using courses from another institution, that institution must be regionally
accredited. To determine whether or not a school is regionally accredited, please visit: http://
Major substitutions must be approved by the Dean of the School of the major is listed in the
catalog. The School Dean will review in consultation with an appropriate faculty member.
GE (General Education) substitution must be approved by the Dean of A&R, or designee. If
you disagree with the determination made, you should first consult with the Admissions and
Records Office. If resolution cannot be found complete an Appeal Petition.
The School Dean has the option to request/advise Credit-by-Exam in lieu of waiving a course.
1. Student to complete form in pen, sign and date.
2. Please attach OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT and all course descriptions from previous
institutions that support each class that you are requesting a substitution for. Course
descriptions must be from the year the class was taken from your previous institutions
3. Submit form to Admission & Records office, Fairfield campus, Bldg 400.
4. A&R will review and if Dean signature is required, A&R will send to the Dean’s office.
5. Dean will return signed form to A & R once their review is complete.
6. A&R will process and email a copy to student’s SCC email.
7. Meeting with a counselor prior to submitting is recommended.