Copyright © Pearson Education, Inc., or its affiliates. All Rights Reserved. 3
Saturdays y domingos
Main Idea and Details
• Thetopic iswhatapieceofwritingisabout.
• Themain idea isthemostimportantideaaboutthetopic.
• Details aresmallpiecesofinformationthattellmoreaboutthemainidea.
Directions Read the following passage. Then answer the questions below.
nacks can be good for you! A healthy
snack is easy to make from things
in the kitchen. Sometimes I just mix up
raisins and peanuts to make my own trail
mix. I like to add granola or fruit to a cup
of yogurt. My favorite snack is a piece of
cheese on a cracker.
Yesterday, I made my own happy
face snack. I got a cup of applesauce,
cinnamon, some raisins, and a rice
cake. I mixed a little cinnamon into the
applesauce. Then I spread it on the rice
cake and used the raisins to make a smiley
face. It looked cute and tasted delicious!
1. What is the topic of this piece of writing?
2. What is the main idea in the first paragraph?
3. What is a detail that tells about the main idea?
4. What is the main idea in the second paragraph?
5. What is a detail that tells about the main idea?
Home Activity Yourchildidentifiedmainideasanddetailsinapassage.Askyourchildtotellyouastory
0328480479_302 302 12/29/09 7:07:22 PM
Healthy snakes and ideas on how you can make them
She likes to make healthy snakes.
The ingredients in the recipes.