CRIME INQUIRY AND INSPECTION REPORT/AUTHORIZATION TO TOW (DOR-4569) INSTRUCTIONS
THE DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE REQUIRES ALL GRAY-SHADED AREAS BE COMPLETED
• Law enforcement completes this form and obtains all signatures and dates;
• Law enforcement retains a copy to be kept in their files;
• Law enforcement sends original DOR-4569 to Department of Revenue (department) if property remains unclaimed after 10 days and the
tow company does not have online access to department records;
• Tow companies retain a copy of DOR-4569 to be retained for three years;
• Tow company must notify the department in writing of any address change;
• Tow companies with online record access must check the department records online for owner and lienholder information;
• If tow company does not find owner or lienholder information using the online record check, the tow company must send a copy of the
completed “No Record” screen from the online record search and a copy of DOR-4569 to the following address for further research:
MOTOR VEHICLE BUREAU
PO BOX 2048
JEFFERSON CITY MO 65105-2048
• The department will perform a record search for the name and address of the owner and lienholder of record within five working days
of receipt of the DOR-4569 submitted by law enforcement or the DOR-4569 and “No Record” screen from the online record search
submitted by the tow company. A department search will be done by:
1) searching the department files; or
2) initiating an inquiry with another state if the evidence presented indicates the abandoned property was registered or titled in another state.
• The department will send a notification letter to the towing company within 15 working days after the search is completed with the following
1) the name and address of the owner and lienholder of record; or
2) instructions if there is no record information available (please see below).
NO INFORMATION FOUND ON RECORD NOTIFICATION RECEIVED
If the department has no record of the abandoned property, the towing company must certify that a physical search of the abandoned
property disclosed no other evidence of ownership. The towing company must also certify that a good faith effort was made to establish the
prior state of registration and title by checking the items below:
1) the abandoned property for any type of license plates, license plate record, temporary permit, inspection sticker, decal, or other evidence
that may indicate a state of possible registration and title;
2) the law enforcement report for a license plate number or registration number if the abandoned property was towed at the request of a
law enforcement agency;
3) the tow ticket/report of the tow truck operator to see if a license plate was on the abandoned property at the beginning of the tow, if a
private tow; and
4) the law enforcement report to see if an address is indicated on the driver license information if there is no address of the owner on the
NOTE: The department will provide the tower with a notification letter (MVB-346) to certify the above checks have been made.
This certification must accompany the application for title.
HOW TO APPLY FOR ORIGINAL, SALVAGE, OR JUNK ABANDONED PROPERTY TITLES
Send ALL abandoned title applications to: Department of Revenue, Central Branch, P. O. Box 2076, Jefferson City, MO 65105
Please submit the following when applying for a title for an abandoned vehicle otherwise it will be rejected:
1) application for title with appropriate fees, properly completed in the towing company’s name. The title type must be marked
“Original”, “Salvage”, or “Junking Certificate” (Tow company not required to pay title fee, processing fee, or sales tax.);
2) Abandoned Property Affidavit (DOR-4576) properly completed, signed by the tower, and notarized by a notary public;
3) a copy of the Vehicle Owner and Lienholder Notification (DOR-4577) issued to any owner and lienholder of record. This must be
sent by certified mail;
4) a copy of the certified mail return receipt(s) at least 30 days old, indicating all owners and lienholders of record, if applicable, have
been sent DOR-4577 (see 3 above);
5) a copy of the notification the Department of Revenue issued to the towing company or a copy of the “Record Lookup Results” screen
from the online record search;
6) a completed and signed Vehicle Examination Certificate (DOR-551), if applying for an “Original” title (contact the nearest Highway
Patrol Headquarters for vehicle inspection); and
7) Crime Inquiry and Inspection Report/Authorization to Tow (DOR-4569) completed by authorized law enforcement, if applicable.
IMPORTANT: MILEAGE MUST BE SHOWN ON THE APPLICATION FOR TITLE FOR VEHICLES MODEL YEAR 2011 AND NEWER
UNTIL THE VEHICLE REACHES THE AGE OF TWENTY YEARS OLD. IF THE MILEAGE IS UNOBTAINABLE write in an estimated
mileage and a statement at the bottom of the application that mileage is only estimated. Complete and attach Odometer Disclosure
Statement (DOR-3019) and include the reason for mileage estimate: fire, digital dash inoperable, or other. THIS MUST ACCOMPANY
THE APPLICATION FOR TITLE.
If you have any questions call (573) 526-3669 or visit our web site www.dor.mo.gov/mvdl.