City Of Des Moines
MOBILE VENDOR STANDARDS
1. Geographical restrictions. No mobile vendor shall sell or vend from his or her vehicle or
a. Within 400’ of a public or private school grounds during the hours of regular school
session, classes, or school related events in said public or private school, except
when authorized by said school; or
b. Within 300’ of the entrance to a business establishment which is open for business
and is offering for sale the same or similar product as an item offered for sale by the
mobile vendor; or
c. Within 300’ of a restaurant, café, or eat ing establishment which is open for business;
d. Within 300’ of a public park of the City where a City authorized concession stand is
located during times other than during the course of a public celebration except as
approved by the City Manager or designate; or
e. Within 300’ of the Mari na or other City prop erty where a City authorized concession
stand is located during the course of a public celebration when nonprofit
organizations are per mitted to engage in the sale of merchandise and food in such
f. Within any one block for more than one (1) hour in any four (4) hour period. Except
this shall not apply in those situations where the mobile vendor is serving organized
and sanctioned community sponsored ball games at public parks and schools
provided there is no City approved concession in the park or at the school.
2. No mobile vendor s hall conduct business so as to violate any ordinances of the City,
including those regulating traffic and rights-of-way, as now in effect or hereafter amended.
3. No mobile vendor shall obstruct or cause to be obstructed the passage of a sidewalk ,
street, avenue, alley or any other public place, by causing people to congregate at or near
the place where food is being sold or offered for sale.
4. No customer shall be served on the street side of the mobile unit. All service must be on
the curb side when the mobile unit is on or abutting a public street.
5. All mobile vendors shall provide garbage receptacles for customer use.
6. No mobile vendor shall locate his or her vehicle or other conveyance in such a manner as
to cause a traffic hazard.
7. At the conclusion of business activities at a given location the mobile vendor shall clean all
the public way surrounding his or her vehicle of all debris, trash and litter generated by the
vendor’s business activities.
8. All mobile vendors preparing food by cooking, frying or ot her means shall be equipped with
at least one 2A-40-BC fire extinguisher.
9. All mobile vendors shall conclude daily business activities at sunset.
10. A separate licens e shall be required for each vehicle or other conveyance engaged by a
11. All mobile vendors are limited to the business of selling food.