Instructions for Submitting a Request for an Exception:
Students submitting a Request for an Exception are subject to Policy 170.72 Course Withdrawal. Please note that submission
of a request will not act as a withdrawal from ongoing classes. If you have any questions, please consult an advisor or refer
to the relevant UMGC webpage.
A complete request must include the following:
. Completed, signed and dated Request for Exception Form; and
2. A TYPED detailed personal statement (please limit this to 1 page); and
3. Relevant and supporting documentation that pertains to the time period at issue.
Incomplete requests will be closed and denied but may be re-opened once the required documentation is
A Request for an Exception must meet the following Criteria:
• All requests for exception to the UMGC Course Withdrawal Policy must be submitted within 90 days from the last.
day of the term during which the circumstance occurred.
• A direct “cause and effect” relationship can be demonstrated between the extenuating circumstances and the student’s
ability to successfully complete his/her course(s).
• Circumstances experienced and their resulting impact were unforeseeable and/or could not have been reasonably
prevented during the time period in question.
• Relevant documentation can be furnished from an appropriate authority to support the claim. Documentation must
be signed and on official letterhead of the issuing authority and include the contact information for this authority. See
below for examples of supporting documentation.
Reason Examples of Relevant and Supporting Documentation
Medical Issue A signed letter from physician/medical provider stating 1) the date(s) of the onset and duration of the condition and
2) how t
he condition impaired your ability to continue/complete cours
ease do NOT send medical records or bill
Military Duty Deployment Orders/PCS Orders/TDY Orders; Memo from Commanding Officer to address issues not covered by
military orders. Generally we require memos from O-5’s and above.
Death of Immediate
Death certificate or obituary. The submitted documentation must show date of death and family relationship.
• The following issues cannot be addressed through the Request for Exception Process:
§ Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeals under Policy 220.32 and Policy 220.33.
§ Disputes regarding the denial of financial aid or the amount awarded.
§ Alleged Arbitrary and Capricious Grade appeals under Policy 130.80.
§ Complaints about class instruction or curriculum. Please contact the relevant academic department.
Please email, fax, or mail your Request for Exception form to:
Request for Exceptions –
Office of the Registrar
Largo I Building
3501 University Blvd East
Adelphi, MD 20783
The Office of Registrar sends all communications pertaining to your request via email. If you would like to change
your main email address, log in to MyUMGC portal, click Student Center and scroll down to Personal Information.
Please note that students are responsible for keeping their personal information, including email addresses, up to date.
Want to know the status of your request? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: SUBMISSION OF A REQUEST DOES NOT SUSPEND BILLING OR STOP COLLECTIONS ACTIVITY