Revised Feb. 21, 2020 1
City of Annapolis
Department of Planning and Zoning
145 Gorman Street 3
Annapolis, MD 21401-2529
Permitting@annapolis.gov• 410-260-2200• Fax 410-263-9158 • use MD Relay or 711 • www.annapolis.gov
Bed & Breakfast Operating License Application
The purpose of a Bed & Breakfast license is to assure compliance with health, safety and zoning requirements as outlined
in the Annapolis City Code.
Authority City of Annapolis Code and Charter, Chapter 21.64.110, 21.66.130 and Chapters 17.40 and 17.44.
City Code provisions
1. “Bed & Breakfast Home” means a single-family, owner-occupied detached dwelling which provides only transient
lodging in not more than five rooms with a maximum stay of fourteen consecutive nights. A Bed & Breakfast home
may provide no food or beverage service for the transient guests other than breakfast provided in the areas of the
dwelling commonly used by the resident family for the consumption of food.
2. Bed & Breakfast homes holding a valid, current license issued by the City pursuant to Chapter 17.44 as of
June 20, 1994 are not subject to the locational limitations.
3. The individual recorded owner of the property shall be the operator of the Bed & Breakfast and reside on the premises.
No resident managers shall be allowed to operate a Bed & Breakfast.
4. The number of guests cannot exceed the maximum allowed by the Life Safety Code.
5. There shall be only one kitchen within the entire dwelling unit. No cooking facilities shall be permitted in guest rooms.
6. Bed & Breakfast homes shall not have a “separate” apartment within the entire dwelling or on the subject property
such as a carriage house, garage, etc.
7. Bed & Breakfast homes shall have “interior” stairs to serve all habitable living spaces within the entire dwelling
including basements and attics, with the exception of any Bed & Breakfast homes holding a valid, current license
issued by the City pursuant to Chapter 17.44 as of June 20, 1994.
8. Bed & Breakfast homes without off-street parking are required to purchase City Garage parking passes which are to
be offered to each guest upon registration. Section 21.64.110 and Section 21.64.120.
9. A rental license shall be obtained from the Department of Planning and Zoning.
10. The resident owner shall keep a current guest register including names, addresses and dates of occupancy of all
guests available for inspection by the licensing agency.
11. The use shall be subject to all applicable City Code regulations including but not limited to building, fire and health
12. For each side of a block between two intersecting streets there shall be no more than two Bed & Breakfast homes
and not two Bed & Breakfast homes may be located on adjacent properties with the exception of Bed & Breakfast
homes holding a valid, current license issued by the City pursuant to Chapter 17.44 as of June 20, 1994.
13. No Bed & Breakfast homes shall be located in an attached dwelling with the exception of Bed & Breakfast homes
holding a valid, current license issued by the City pursuant to Chapter 17.44 as of June 20, 1994.
14. In the case of license for a Bed & Breakfast holding a valid, current license by the City pursuant to Chapter 17.44 as
of June 20, 1994, nothing in these regulations shall preclude the renewal or transfer of that license.
15. The Bed & Breakfast operating license must be renewed every year. Inspections are required every year at least
once and also on a complaint basis. A new license will not be issued until inspections are approved and licenses
may be suspended or revoked at any time for Code violations.
16. The operating license annual fee is one hundred dollars ($100.00) per bedroom rented to transient guests and
payable in advance of license issuance.
17. Each license shall be displayed in a conspicuous place.