(For current high school students)
Nebraska Press Association Foundation, Inc.
Component of The Lincoln Foundation, Inc.
845 “S” Street, Lincoln, NE 68508
Phone: (402) 476-2851, (800) 369-2850
Guidelines of the Nebraska Press Association Scholarship Program
Sponsored by the Nebraska Press Association Foundation
& Member Newspapers of the Nebraska Press Association
This application is for journalism students
1. It is proposed to award $2,000 scholarships for the 2019-2020 school year to qualied graduates of Nebraska
high schools enrolled or planning to enroll in post-secondary educational programs in Nebraska-based colleges
and universities leading to careers in print journalism. Each year the Foundation Board will decide the number
of scholarships based on monies available.
2. Eligible to apply are 2019 Nebraska high school graduates who are now seeking to enroll in Nebraska colleges
and universities. Enrollment must be on a full-time basis. The recipient must use the scholarship and enroll no
later than the start of the third semester after the awarding of the scholarship.
3. The scholarships will be given to students with a specic interest in news, editorial, photography,
circulation, production or advertising careers at a weekly, semi-weekly, or daily newspaper. The Nebraska-
based educational institution involved must offer a curriculum which provides the necessary education so
a student graduating from the program is qualied for at least an entry level position in print journalism.
4. Selection of the recipients will be based on scholastic ability and good citizenship in school and community.
The decision of the NPA Foundation Scholarship Committee is nal and not subject to review.
5. A letter of reference from the applicant’s community newspaper publisher or editor may accompany the
application, but this is not a requirement in order to be considered. A statement from a high-school administrator,
guidance counselor, or college counselor is required and a letter of reference from an unrelated party
(employer, clergy, coach, etc.) is also required.
6. Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the college or university upon satisfactory completion of the rst
semester and proof of second semester enrollment. Unused scholarships must come to Foundation Board for
decision to renew and to see if rules have been met.
7. The application form must be lled out by the applicant and an essay must be provided (pg. 2 of application).
Mail or email to the NPA Foundation Scholarship Committee, c/o Nebraska Press Association, 845 “S” Street,
Lincoln, NE 68508, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be postmarked by February 4, 2019.
Announcement of the scholarship awards will be made at the noon luncheon of the Nebraska Press Association
Annual Convention, April 5, 2019, at the Holiday Inn/Younes Conference Center, Kearney, NE.
8. Answers to questions about the scholarship program should be directed to Susan Watson, Nebraska Press
Association, 845 “S” Street, Lincoln, NE 68508, email@example.com, (402) 476-2851/(NE) 800-369-2850.