CITY OF PORTLAND
Permitting and Inspections Department
Small Scale Marijuana Caregiver Business Application Process
The application must be complete in order to be accepted and processed.
What is needed to apply:
City application for marijuana business
Diagram of facility (§ 35-27). Details to include:
1. Total square footage dedicated to the small scale caregiver use
2. Amount of plant canopy to be grown
3. Floor plans including:
Location of mature, immature and seedling plants
Quality control plan (§ 35-27). Detailing the testing protocols and schedules to ensure the safety of the
marijuana being cultivated.
Operations plan (§ 35-27). Details to include:
1. Overview of policies and procedures
To prevent unauthorized sale to minors
To ensure that operation does not exceed five patients in one calendar month
Security plan (§ 35-36). Details to include:
2. Alarm system
4. Security cameras interior & exterior
5. Securing of cash and marijuana products
6. Policies to discourage loitering
Waste Disposal Plan (§ 35-39). Details to include:
1. Containers to store marijuana waste
2. Procedures for modifying waste so that it is no longer useable
Odor mitigation plan (§ 35-40).
FSE License (Ch. 11). If manufacturing food, must provide copy of FSE license.
Ventilation plan (§ 14-411). Ensuring adequate ventilation to prevent the release or dispersal beyond
the premises of pesticides, insecticides, or other chemicals.
Distance from school (§ 14-411). Distance from nearest public school, private school and/or public
Payment of application fee
Copy of State license
After you submit your application to the Business Licensing Office:
• You must separately apply for all City of Portland permits (electrical, building, plumbing, change of use,
• When the Business Licensing Office has received all approvals from the required departments, we will
sign off on your local authorization form (adult use), or issue your license (medical).
• You may contact us for a license status update, but please note that we must receive approvals
directly from all departments.