© Girlguiding 2019 Registered charity number 306016
Recognising prior learning - A Safe Space
● If you are taking a break or no longer uphold your CPD (continuous professional development)
commitment, because of maternity leave, sabbatical, change of career, or retirement and it
has been for less than three years, you’re still able to complete this recognising prior learning
● If you’re in a profession related to children, young people or working with vulnerable adults,
but have not updated your training in child or adult protection within the last three years, no
exemption is possible. Neither is exemption possible if you do not have to decision make in
your role and would usually refer to someone else.
At this time we cannot exempt you if you hold a church qualification – we are looking into
this for the future.
My profession/qualication is not listed
but is similar
The rst step is to cross-reference the safeguarding
training you have had with the knowledge areas (in the
If the answer is ‘Yes’ to all sections, then complete the
‘Recognising prior safeguarding learning and experience
assessment form’ and submit it to a country and region
trainer coordinator or A Safe Space trainer to review.
1) If you’ve met the requirements, complete the
‘Recognising prior safeguarding learning and
experience assessment form’.
2) Submit the form and copies of any relevant certicates
to either a country/region trainer coordinator or A
Safe Space trainer to review. If you’re not sure who to
contact, please speak to your country/region ofce who will be able to advise.
3) Your form will be reviewed, and an answer given to you within 28 days.
4) If you qualify for exemption, your GO record will be updated accordingly. If you qualify for
Level 3, we’ll send you an email to conrm this, which will include a Level 3 certicate to
download and print.
What if I don’t have a certicate to prove the qualication I have completed for
safeguarding or child protection, but I’d like to have prior learning recognised?
Gather evidence from your workplace to show your prior learning, this can then be submitted
instead of a certicate. For example, a letter from your manager conrming when you
undertook training and what it involved, and a bit about your role.
What to do if you are dissatised with the decision?
If you’re not satised with the decision, follow our complaints procedure by going to
How long will it be until I am asked to renew recognition of my prior learning for Level 3?
You’ll need to renew your A Safe Space training, like all other volunteers, every three years.
If you want to, you can renew recognition of your prior learning every three years, instead of
renewing/undertaking A Safe Space training.
Did your training cover the following?
• What is safeguarding?
• What is child protection?
• How to risk-assess activities,
people and groups
• Assessing risk to children, young
people and vulnerable adults
• Types of abuse and harm
• Recognising vulnerabilities and
signs of abuse and neglect
• Sharing a concern
• Making a referral
• Safeguarding children with
• Working together
• Responding to a disclosure