Form SR-1 (3/2006; Rev 1/2010)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPLETING PETITION:
1. Complete Information Section
2. Identify Contact Person (This person serves as spokesperson for petitioner(s)).
3. Attach two (2) copies of recorded subdivision plat or property deeds, which refer to candidate road.
4. Adjoining property owners and/or the developer may submit a petition. Subdivision roads with prior
NCDOT review and approval only require the developer’s signature.
5. If submitted by the developer, encroachment agreements from all utilities located within the right of
way shall be submitted with the petition for Road addition. However, construction plans may not be
required at this time.
6. Submit to District Engineer’s Office.
FOR NCDOT USE ONLY: Please check the appropriate block
Subdivision platted prior to October 1, 1975
Subdivision platted after September 30, 1975
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADDITION
If this road meets the requirements necessary for addition, we agree to grant the Department
of Transportation a right-of-way of the necessary width to construct the road to the minimum
construction standards of the NCDOT. The right-of-way will extend the entire length of the
road that is requested to be added to the state maintained system and will include the
necessary areas outside of the right-or-way for cut and fill slopes and drainage. Also, we
agree to dedicate additional right-of-way at intersections for sight distance and design
purposes and execute said right-of-way agreement forms that will be submitted to us by
representatives of the NCDOT. The right-of-way shall be cleared at no expense to the
NCDOT, which includes the removal of utilities, fences, other obstructions, etc.
General Statute 136-102.6 states that any subdivision recorded on or after October 1, 1975,
must be built in accordance with NCDOT standards in order to be eligible for addition to the
State Road System.