NCC AP NCPRSS Credential Application 01-2019 Page 2 of 11
III. NCPRSS Credential Eligibility & Application Requirements
Please note: Incomplete applications will be subject to an additional $50 administrative fee.
Please make sure to complete all sections of the application and include all required supporting
1. Candidate must have a High School diploma, GED or higher. Candidate must submit copy of
GED, high school or higher diploma or transcript.
2. Candidate must self-attest to a minimum of two years of recovery from lived-experience in
substance use and/or co-occurring mental health disorders. (See page 10 of the application.)
3. Candidate must have a minimum of 200 hours of direct practice (volunteer or paid) in a peer
recovery support environment.
Supervisor must attest that the candidate has a minimum of 200 hours of direct practice
(volunteer or paid). (See page 10 of the application.)
4. Candidate must provide evidence of earning 60 continuing education contact hours (CEs) of
peer recovery-focused education and training. (See page 3 of the application.)
a. At least 48 hours of peer recovery-focused education and training, including education
in documentation, community/family education, case management, crisis management,
Recovery-Oriented Systems of Care (ROSC), screening and intake, identification of
indicators of substance use and/or co-occurring disorders for referral, service
coordination, service planning, cultural awareness and/or humility, and basic
b. At least six hours of Ethics education and training within the last six years.
c. At least six hours of HIV/Other Pathogens education and training within the last six
5. Candidate must sign a statement that they have read and adhere to the NAADAC/NCC AP
Peer Recovery Support Specialist Code of Ethics. (See page 10 of the application.)
6. Candidate must submit two references. At least one of the references must be a professional
reference. Both references must accompany the NCPRSS application in sealed envelopes.
(Note: Candidate has option to provide one professional and one personal reference or two
professional references. See pages 4-7.)
7. Candidate must mail application and all supporting documents with the non-refundable
application fee of $235 to:
44 Canal Center Plaza, Suite 301
Alexandria, VA 22314
8. NOTE: A passing score on the National Certified Peer Recovery Support Specialist
examination is required. Registration information for the examination will be pr
once your credential application is approved. (Testing fee is an additional $150.)