PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER
Open the Human Anatomy Atlas app, choose Views from the top menu, and select Systems from the
submenu. Then, scroll down to the Respiratory System Views.
Review views 1. Upper Respiratory and 7. Location of Lungs. Use the answers to the questions
throughout this lab manual to summarize the flow of air through the respiratory system structures.
1. Air enters the upper respiratory system through the ______________________________, which are the
openings that lead into the nasal cavity. The air moves through passageways that are formed by the
______________________________, which protrude into the cavity.
2. From the nasal cavity, air flows into the first part of the pharynx, which is the
______________________________. Then, it flows through the other 2 parts of the pharynx, which are called
the ______________________________ and ______________________________.
3. Air then makes its way into the ______________________________. This structure includes 9
laryngeal cartilages that ______________________________. The largest of these cartilages is the
______________________________. Another significant part of the larynx, the ______________________________,
covers the opening to the trachea during swallowing to prevent food from accidentally entering the
respiratory tract. This structure is composed of ______________________________.
4. Then air moves into the first part of the lower respiratory system, the ______________________________,
which has rings composed of ______________________________. This structure branches into 2
______________________________, 1 for each lung.
5. Air flows through the bronchi, which get ______________________________ as you move from primary to
secondary to tertiary, eventually terminating in ______________________________, which are tiny air sacs
where gas exchange occurs.
6. Air flows from the bronchi into the lungs medially through the ______________________________.
The ______________________________ lung has 3 lobes, whereas the ______________________________ lung
has 2. There are grooves on the surface of the lungs, called ______________________________, which
separate the lungs into lobes. The ______________________________ lung is slightly larger than the
______________________________ lung due to its position in relation to the heart.