III. Step-By-Step Instructions
These instructions will assist in preparing a complete and accurate MCS-150 application. The instruction numbers below
correspond to the numbered items on the MCS-150 form. When completing the application, please print clearly in ink or type
Reason for Filing (Top of Form) — The information in the table below represents the valid reasons for filing the MCS-150
Form. Select one of the four reasons and mark its corresponding box at the top of the form under “Reason for Filing,” and
complete all the items on the form that are mandatory for the selected reason.
If you would like to: Select the following under
“Reason for Filing”:
Complete the following form items:
Obtain a USDOT Number – first time
All applicable items (1-30); exclude items
16 and 28.
File the formal MCS-150 Biennial
Update, or update MCS-150
BIENNIAL UPDATE OR CHANGES
All applicable items 1-16, 30, and any
others where information has changed
since the company’s last update.
Notify FMCSA that the company is no
longer operating as an interstate Motor
OUT OF BUSINESS
All applicable items 1-16 and 30.
Reapply after New Entrant Registration
has been revoked (USDOT Number
REVOCATION OF NEW
All applicable items (1-30). In item 16
enter the USDOT Number previously
assigned to the company.
NOTE: If the company was previously assigned a USDOT Number, do NOT submit this form to obtain a new USDOT
Number. That is, if the company currently has or has had at any time a USDOT Number, then the only valid reasons for
completing this form are: reapplication after revocation of a new entrant registration, out of business notification, or biennial
update or other interim change to the company’s MCS-150 application information.
See instructions labeled “To find out if a company already has a USDOT Number” in Section IV of this document.
1. Name of Motor Carrier — This is the legal name of the business entity that owns/controls the Motor Carrier operation. The
name entered here should be the full legal business name (the name on the incorporation certificate, partnership agreement,
tax records, etc.).
For example, if the company is a:
• Sole Proprietorship/Individual, enter the legal name, e.g., John A. Doe
• Partnership, enter the legal names of all partners, e.g., John A. Doe and Jane B. Smith
• Corporation, enter the name on the incorporation certificate (this name must include the type of corporation), e.g.,
John Doe INC, John Doe LLC.
2. Trade or D.B.A. (Doing Business As) Name — Enter the company’s trade name if it is different from the company’s
official business name (the name entered in item 1). For example, if you entered “John A. Doe” in item 1 as the company’s
official business name, but the trade name, or “Doing Business As” name, is “John’s Trucking Company,” you would enter
“John’s Trucking Company” in this item.
3-6. Principal Address — Enter the address where the company’s safety records are maintained. FMCSA will use this
address for on-site visits to Motor Carriers for the purpose of conducting safety audits, compliance reviews, and other
activities. For this reason, do not enter a P.O. Box as the Principal Address or processing of the company’s application will be
7. Colonia (Mexico Only) — If the company’s principal address (and safety records location) is in Mexico, enter the “Colonia”
or “Barrio” in Mexico.
8-11. Mailing Address — Enter the mailing address where the company wants all its FMCSA correspondence to be sent (this
may be a P.O. Box). If all parts of this address are the same as the “Principal Address” (items 3-6) write “SAME” in item 8 and
leave items 9-11 blank. However, if any parts of the mailing and principal addresses differ, complete all items 8-11.
12. Colonia (Mexico Only) — If the company’s mailing address is in Mexico, enter the “Colonia” or “Barrio” in Mexico.
13. Principal Business Phone Number — Enter the primary telephone number, including area code, for the “Principal
Address” (items 3-6). (This may be a cell phone number.)
Instructions for form MCS-150 (Revision 6/12/2007) Page 2 of 9