House to House Collections Act, 1939
Application for House to House
Collection Permit
Page 1 of 4 CALE House Collect Permit V2 1217
TO: The Licensing Team, East Lindsey
District Council, Tedder Hall, Manby Park,
Louth, LN11 8UP (email:
In Pursuance of Section 2 of the House to House Collections Act, 1939, I hereby apply for a
permit authorising me to promote the collection of which particulars are given below.
Signed: Dated:
Particulars of Collection
Applicant Responsible for Collection
1. Surname of applicant (in block letters):
Other names:
2. Address of applicant
(including post code):
3. Email address:
4. Telephone number:
Particulars of Charitable Purposes to Which Proceeds of Collection are to be Applied
5. Name of charity
6. Address of charity (including postcode):
7. Over what parts of the local
authority area is it proposed that
the collection should extend?
8. During what period of the
year is it proposed that the
collection should be made?
Mr Mrs Miss Ms Other:
9. Is it proposed to collect money?
10. Is it proposed to collect other property?
11. Approximately how many persons is it
proposed to authorise to act as collectors
in the area of the local authority to
which the application is addressed?
12. Is it proposed that remuneration
should be paid out of the
proceeds of the collection to:
13. Is application being made for licences
for collections for the same purpose
in other local authority areas?
14. Has the applicant, or to the knowledge
of the applicant, anyone associated with
the promotion of the collection, been
refused a permit or order under the
Act, or had a permit or order revoked?
15. Is it proposed to promote this
collection in conjunction with a
charitable street collection?
Your information will be processed in accordance with the law, in particular the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information
Act 2000. The information that you provide will only be used for Council purposes unless there is a legal authority to do otherwise.
This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this
form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering
public funds for these purposes.
Form last revised December 2017
Yes No If Yes, of what nature and is it proposed to
sell such property or to give it away or to use it?
(a) collectors?
(b) other persons?
If so, at what rates and to what classes of persons?
Yes No If Yes, to what local authorities?
And, approximately, how many persons in all is it proposed to
authorise to act as collectors?
Yes No If Yes, give particulars:
Yes No If Yes, is it desired that the accounts of this
collection should be combined wholly or in part with the account
of the street collection?
Page 2 of 4 CALE House Collect Permit V2 1217
Yes No
Charitable House to House Collections
Charitable house to house collections involve the
collection of either money or items directly from a
person’s property. They are a vital source of funds for
many charities as they offer a positive opportunity for
the public to support charities. However, they need
to be carried out for the benefit of the charity and in
accordance with the law.
It is vital that permits to collect are issued to
legitimate applicants. This can give the public
confidence that if the collection is properly authorised
then an adequate proportion of their donations are
being given to the appropriate charity.
Charitable house to house collections are currently
regulated by the House to House Collections Act
1939 and the House to House Collections Regulations
1947. Permits for these collections, in the East Lindsey
District, are issued by East Lindsey District Council.
There are National Exemption Orders that are available
to charities who have undertaken a high number of
collections across local authority areas nationally
in the preceding two years. These are issued to the
charity by the Cabinet Office directly.
Application Process
The statutory house to house application form needs
to be completed when applying for a permit.
There should be a minimum 28 days notice given
between the application and the proposed start date
of the collection. This recommendation may be waived
in exceptional circumstances at the discretion of the
On all applications to this Authority, where the
application relates to the collection of clothing or
goods, the applicant must also supply information
relating to:
Whether the collection beneficiary is a
registered charity (with charity number), and the
objectives of the charitable cause as supplied to
the Charity Commission.
A statement of the company organisations aims
as detailed in any literature and the details and
history of the organisation.
How the collection is to be conducted (e.g.
charity collection bags).
Letter of Authorisation from the Charity Partner
to collect goods on their behalf.
Copy of the Corporate Agreement between the
two organisations (the charity partner and the
Declaration of any previous permit refusals by
this Authority and/or any other Local Authority.
An example of the projected Income and
Expenditure in collecting 1 tonne of clothes.
In addition, it must be clear as part of the application
process how much the charity will receive as part of
the collection, the proportion of this as a percentage
of the cost of running the collection and a clear set of
returns if the organisation has operated collections in
the East Lindsey District before.
Where appropriate this Authority reserves the right
to ask an applicant to produce the result of a current
basic Criminal Records Bureau disclosure relating to
the applicant for the permit (or the Director(s) of the
collection company if different).
House to House Collections Policy
A copy of our policy on the subject of house to house
collections can be found on the Council’s website:
Page 3 of 4 CALE House Collect Permit V2 1217
Guidance Notes
Data Protection Notice
East Lindsey District Council is a Data Controller and can be contacted at:
Tedder Hall, Manby Park, Louth,
Lincolnshire, LN11 8UP
Tel: 01507 601111
The Data Protection Officer for this Authority can be contacted at the same address.
We are collecting your personal data in order to process your application under Licensing Legislation as we are the
Licensing Authority.
Your data will not be shared with third parties but may be used for Council purposes, in order to prevent or detect
crime, to protect public funds or where we are required or permitted to share data under other legislation.
Your data will be kept for 6 years in line with our retention policy.
You have the right to access your data and to rectify mistakes, erase, restrict, object or move your data in certain
circumstances. Please contact the Data Protection Officer for further information or go to our website where
your rights are explained in more detail. If you would like to receive an explanation of your rights in paper format
please contact the Data Protection Officer.
Any complaints regarding your data should be addressed to the Data Protection Officer in the first instance. If the
matter is not resolved you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at:
Wycliffe House, Water Lane,
Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Tel: 0303 123 1113
If you do not provide the information required on the form then we will not be able to process your application for
a permit.
For further information on our Data Protection Policies please go to our website:
Page 4 of 4 CALE House Collect Permit V2 1217