Need Help Completing The
Application For a Family Child Care Home License?
These are instructions for filling out the Application for a Family Child Care Home License (LIC 279).
Match the numbered items on this page with the numbered sections on the Application.
For your information, details on the Application are public information.
1. TYPE APPLICATION - A “New Application” is a request to license both an individual and a home that
are not now licensed. A “Capacity Change” is a request to increase the approved number of children in
an already licensed home. A “Location Change” is a request by a licensee to obtain a new license
when he/she plans to move. An “Update” is, for example, to request a change in your name or phone
2. APPLICANTS - The applicants are the persons who will be responsible for providing child care in their
own home. All applicants must live in the home to be licensed and must be 18 years of age or older to
be licensed to provide child care. A “Yes” check means the applicants are 18 years of age or older.
3a. YOUR HOME ADDRESS - Your home address is the location of the home in which you live and want
to provide care. This is the home that the Licensing Agency will inspect to determine whether it meets
health and safety standards. PHONE NUMBER--Enter your primary phone number.
3b. LIST OF ADDITIONAL COUNTIES - If you have not lived in this county for two years, list all other
counties where you have lived in the past two years.
4. MAILING ADDRESS - If your mailing address is different from the home address, put your mailing
address here. If it is the same, write "Same". EMAIL ADDRESS--It is not a required field to complete.
5. DIRECTION(S) TO HOME - Please provide directions to your home. Please attach a sketch or map if
6. LICENSE OR CERTIFICATION STATUS - This is any license or certification issued to any of the
applicants for providing care. If you are or have ever been licensed or certified to provide care, or if an
application is pending, check the appropriate box and enter the type of license/certification; date
licensed/certified; and name, address and phone number of the Licensing Agency. This includes
Foster Family Homes and any other license category.
7. OTHER ADULTS IN THE HOME - List all persons (other than yourself) who live in your home,
including family members, boarders, or other relatives. Do not list the names of persons under 18
years of age (See #8 below). If needed, you may attach additional pages to list all residents. You do
not need to list your spouse if he/she is also an applicant.
8. CURRENT CHILDREN IN YOUR HOME - Complete the form LIC 279B. List the name, date of birth,
sex and relationship of each child living in your home. This sheet will be filed in the confidential portion
of your facility file.
9. TYPE OF LICENSE - Requirements for homes serving nine or more children are different from homes
serving eight or fewer. Please tell us the capacity you plan to serve, the age range, and what days
and/or hours you plan to be open.
10. APPLICANT/LICENSEE RESPONSIBILITY - You need to let the Licensing Agency know that you live
in the home to be licensed, have enough money to maintain your home, have basic fire protection, will
stay current and in compliance with licensing laws and regulations, will obtain approval from the
licensing agency whenever you plan to change your license capacity or make changes to your home,
and that you understand the child abuse reporting requirements and the notification and consent
requirements related to property owners/landlords.
11. PERJURY STATEMENT - Each applicant must sign the application. The signatures should be the
same as the names listed on the top of the form. The signature is signed under a perjury oath. This
means that you promise that everything you have said in the application is true and correct. If you
knowingly make false statements, you have committed the crime of perjury, which may be punishable
NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH SPACE, ATTACH ADDITIONAL PAPER.
STATE OF CALIFORNIA - HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES AGENCY
CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES
LIC 279 (2/09) PAGE 2 OF 2