English Language Requirement Form
All health care workers (native and non-native US English speakers alike) are expected to use
clear communication skills in the workplace. Students whose native language is not U.S. English
are expected to demonstrate "near native" US English language abilities. To confirm this ability, all
students entering a Health and Wellness program are required to meet the English language
All students should submit this form to the Admissions, Registration, and Records office to verify
how they meet the English language requirement.
Students meeting the following criteria must comply with this revised requirement:
1. Students who applied to a Health and Wellness program on or after January 1, 2016, OR
2. Students who applied to a Health and Wellness program before January 1, 2016, but have
not yet met the previous English language requirement.
Please check the ONE that applies:
1. ☐ I have only attended a US high school, and my first language is U.S. English.
2. ☐ I have attended school outside the United States.
3. ☐ My first language is not U.S. English.
you checked number 1, please sign here. There is nothing further that you need to do.
I understand that this is an official Durham Technical Community College document and that any
falsification on this document may result in disciplinary action according to the Student Code of
My signature below indicates that I am responding truthfully.
Student Name (Print): ________________________ Student ID: __________________
Student Signature: ___________________________ Date: ______________________
If you checked number 2 or number 3, you must meet the English Language Requirement by
successfully completing one
of the following options:
• Option 1: Take the Duolingo English Test and score 100 points or higher.
2: Take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), iBT version (obtain a
score of 22 in listening and above 26 in speaking.
• Option 3: Complete EFL 055 and/or EFL 064 and other EFL courses as recommended or
required by placement testing (obtain a score of 80 percent or above).
te: Scores for the above tests and classes are valid for up to 5 years.
July 1, 2020 1
click to sign
click to edit