Created 02/12/2016 OSD
East Central College
Appeal of Tuition/Withdrawal Date Form and Instructions
Tuition Refund Appeal Rules:
1. A student may drop class(es) and be entitled to a refund of tuition and instructional fees during
the published refund period dates. After these dates, a refund appeal will be considered only for
the circumstances listed below:
Death of an immediate family member
Extended illness of student/immediate family member
2. Refunds connected with military obligations are handled outside of this process. In those
situations, a copy of the military orders must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
3. Appeals based on lack of awareness of the college’s refund policy will not be reviewed.
4. The tuition refund appeal process cannot be used for instructional complaints. Please contact
your instructor, the division chairperson or the Vice President of Instruction for these issues.
5. Student must officially withdraw from class(es) before submitting appeal.
6. Tuition refund appeals must be submitted to the Office of Student Development using the
designated form with the required documentation attached. (A checklist has been provided below
to assist in this process.). Incomplete appeals will automatically be denied.
7. Appeals must be received no later than the last day of the semester following the semester for
which the charges are being appealed.
8. A written notification stating the appeal’s outcome will be mailed to the student’s home address.
An appeal decision will be made within 30 days of submission. No phone notifications will be
9. No course fees listed as “non-refundable” will be refunded as a result of this appeal.
10. All tuition refund appeal decisions are FINAL and no further appeal is possible.
11. All information will be treated confidentially in accordance with applicable privacy laws.
Attention Financial Aid Students! It may not be in your best interest to file an appeal. You may be
responsible for repayment of financial aid received. Please check with the financial aid office before
withdrawing from any courses or submitting a tuition refund appeal form.
Tuition Refund Appeal Checklist:
Familiarize yourself with relevant ECC rules, procedures, and deadlines as outlined in the
Student Handbook and/or Academic Calendar.
Officially withdraw from class(es).
Complete an Appeal of Tuition/Withdrawal Date Form.
Attach the supporting documentation for appeals related to death or illness (i.e. death certificate,
obituary notice, or physician’s statement).
Attach a brief letter explaining your reason for the appeal. This letter is required for all appeals.
Submit the Appeal of Tuition/Withdrawal Date Form to the Office of Student Development
located in BH 131.