Dr. Gary McPherson Leadership Scholarship Last revised August 2019
Dr. Gary McPherson
Value – $2,000
The Dr. Gary McPherson Leadership Scholarship recognizes students who have demonstrated outstanding leadership, especially in the area of disability,
and/or initiative to improve the conditions and lives of others.
• be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person (visa students are not eligible),
• be an Alberta resident, and to be considered an Alberta resident one of the following conditions must apply:
- one parent, or legal guardian has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least twelve (12) consecutive months
immediately prior to commencing post-secondary studies and be residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place the student has lived for twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to commencing
post-secondary studies, or
- the student’s spouse/partner has maintained permanent residence in Alberta for 12 consecutive months prior to the person
• be enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program: undergraduate, professional, graduate, apprenticeship, diploma or certicate
program at a publicly-funded institution in Alberta in the current academic year, and
• have shown outstanding leadership, especially in the area of disability, and/or initiative to improve the lives of other people while
attending a publicly-funded post-secondary institution in Alberta, and
• be in satisfactory academic standing as determined by the post-secondary institution.
Selection will be made on the basis of the role and contribution each student has made to their school as well as the documentation
provided with the application. There are a limited number of scholarships available to each school and application deadlines vary
Applicants must include with their application the following:
• a resumé highlighting your leadership involvement and extra-curricular activities related to improving the lives of other people,
• a related letter of reference, and
• an essay of up to a maximum of 1,000 words - please refer to page 2 of the application for details.
Alberta Student Number (ASN)
Your Alberta Student Number is on your Alberta Transcript
for High School Achievement.
If you do not know your ASN, or do not have an ASN:
• Visit learnerregistry.ae.alberta.ca for instructions.
• Call toll-free in Alberta at 310-0000 to have a Request for
ASN form mailed to you. Due to privacy issues, ASN’s will
not be given over the phone.
Deadline and How to Apply
Submit application to: Post-Secondary Institution Student
University of Alberta