STATE OF CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
BOF 4546 (Rev. 05/2015) PAGE 2 of 4
Notice of No Longer in Possession
Type of Firearm
Check the appropriate box. Use one form per firearm. For additional firearm(s), please use the included supplemental page
and make as many copies as necessary.
Enter the requested information. If you are submitting this form for a deceased person, check "yes," and list the date and
county of death. To expedite processing of your request, please include a copy of the death certificate with this form.
Complete this section if you checked the Handgun/Long Gun box. Do not complete this section if you checked the Assault
Weapon/.50 BMG Rifle box and entered firearm information in Section C.
Complete this section if the firearm is a registered Assault Weapon/.50 BMG Rifle. Do not complete this section if you
checked the Handgun/Long Gun box and entered firearm information in Section B. Completion of Section C will result in the
cancellation of the registration of the Assault Weapon/.50 BMG Rifle.
Check the appropriate box and complete the required information.
• If you check "Seized by or surrendered to law enforcement agency," an agent or representative from the listed
law enforcement agency must verify and enter the requested information, sign, and date this form. Attach a copy of a
police report or written confirmation from the agency.
• If you check "Reported to law enforcement" as "Lost" or "Stolen," enter the number and date of the police report and
attach a copy of the report or written confirmation from the agency.
• If you check "Sold/transferred to a licensed firearms dealer," list the name and address of the licensed California firearms
dealer who conducted the sale or transfer, and the date of the sale or transfer.
• If you check "Sold/transferred to a family member or private party," list the name, address and telephone number of the
person who purchased/obtained the firearm and the date of the sale or transfer. (NOTE: As of 01/01/1991, a sale or
transfer must be completed through a licensed firearms dealer when neither party involved in the sale or transfer of a
firearm has a dealer's license issued pursuant to Penal Code section 26700.) The Department of Justice (DOJ) will not
process this form until and unless DOJ receives either a Dealer's Record of Sale (documenting a sale of a firearm through a
dealer), a Firearms Ownership Record, an Operation of Law/Intra-familial Transfer submitted by the person who purchased/
obtained the firearm (i.e transfers between immediate family members pursuant to Penal Code section 27870) or a DOJ
acknowledgement letter to document the sale or transfer. (Pen. Code, § 27545)
• If you check "Verified destroyed," list the date and method of destruction. You must also attach written verification of the
destruction (i.e. copy of an insurance claim for the destroyed firearm or statement from gunsmith or manufacturer stating
that the firearm was not repairable and could not be made operable).
• If you check "No longer a resident of California," list the date that you established residency in a state outside of California
or country outside of the United States. You must also attach a legible copy of your government issued identification from
the other state or country.
• If you check "Transferred firearm out of state," list the name and address of the person who purchased/obtained the
firearm and the date of the sale or transfer, and the name, address, telephone number and, if known, the Federal Firearms
License (FFL) number of the firearms dealer(s) who conducted the sale/transfer. You must also attach any relevant
documentation of the sale or transfer, such as a sales receipt.
• If you check "Returned to dealer/manufacturer," list the name and address of the manufacturer. You must also attach
documentation showing that the dealer/manufacturer received the firearm from you and did not redeliver it to you.
You must read, sign and date the declaration.
NOTE: The DOJ may not be able to disassociate you from the listed firearm(s) without adequate supporting
documentation (i.e., police reports, dealer transfer information, details of transfer to private party).
Section A - Owner Information
Section B - Handgun/Long Gun Information
Section C - Assault Weapon/.50 BMG Rifle Information
Section D - Disposition
Part E - Declaration
Mail completed Notice of No Longer in Possession and copies of any required documents to:
Department of Justice
Bureau of Firearms
P.O. Box 820200
Sacramento, CA 94203-0200
For questions, please visit the Bureau of Firearms website at www.oag.ca.gov/firearms