Application for a Storage Licence
under the Explosives Regulations 2014
Please read the guidance notes before completing this form.
You should not use this form for an application for a licence to store the explosives listed in note1
You should only use this form if you want to store less than 2000kg of explosives
If there is insufficient room to provide the information requested, please continue on a separate sheet(s) (see note 2)
Please note that it is an offence under Section 33 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 to provide false
information. Incomplete or inaccurate information could result in a delay in the processing of your application.
The information contained in this form may be stored electronically. The information may, where appropriate, be
shared with other relevant bodies such as other local licensing authorities or the Health and Safety Executive. You
have the right to request a copy of any personal information and to have any inaccuracies corrected.
Please complete this form using either black ink or type.
The information gathered on this form may constitute personal data as defined in the Data Protection Act
1998. Any personal data will be processed in accordance with the requirements of that Act.
The application is for: [tick the box that applies]
New storage licence Renewal storage licence
If this is a renewal application, please state the date of expiry and any reference number
Expiry Date
Reference No.
Nature of business: [tick the category or categories that apply to this application]
Fireworks retail Fireworks-import/wholesale Fireworks-display operator
Recreational user Other [please specify)
Are you applying for a licence where the storage will be subject to separation distances? (See note 5)
Yes No
Details of the applicant: [if you are applying on behalf of a company or limited liability partnership (or, in
Scotland only, a partnership), please give its name].
Name of applicant:
Companies House No (if applicable)
Date and place of birth [where applicant is an individual]
N.I. no [where applicant is an individual]
Address [including postcode]. If the applicant is a company, please give the registered office
Please indicate the number of years you are applying for:
Please note that applications will take a minimum of 5 days to process on receipt - you CANNOT sell until your licence has been processed.
Daytime telephone number:
Mobile number:
Full address (including postcode) of the where the explosives will be stored:
Do you have an explosives store at an address different to that above? Yes No
If yes, please provide the full address including postcode of this store
Do you have a licence for this store? Yes No . If yes, please provide the licence number and
date of expiry
Licence Number Date of Expiry
If the applicant is not the owner/manager of the business, please give the details of the person with
management responsibilities for the store.
Name position
Address including postcode [if different from above]
Contact telephone number
Out of hours contact details (if different from above) please give the name and telephone number,
including mobile if appropriate, of the person to be contacted in an emergency.
Name of contact
Telephone No. Mobile No.
Explosives to be kept and quantities
Hazard Type or UN number
Amount (net mass kg)
[Please tick the box or boxes that apply]
1. Are you intending to store more than 75kg (net) of ammunition or pyrotechnic articles in a building that
adjoins domestic premises? Yes No
2. Have you had a previous licence or registration
refused or revoked? Yes No
3. Have you been convicted of any offence under legislation on health and safety, (See note 4) Yes No
4. Have you been convicted of any other offences relating to the storage, sale, supply, importation or
possession of fireworks and/or any other explosives? (See note 4) Yes No
5. Have you been convicted of any offence under any other legislation including offences against the
person, dishonesty offences and offences relating to the supply of controlled drugs? (See note 4)
Yes No
If you have answered “Yes” to any of questions 2-5, please give date(s) and details, including the licensing
authority and court where convicted
1 See Regulation 11 of the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005, SI 2005/1082
Signature of applicant (or applicant’s representative)
By signing this form you agree to the information provided, in relation the explosives stored e.g. the type and quantity,
being shared with the emergency services in the event of an incident.
Signed Date
Name Position/Job title
Organisation [if applicable]
The completed application form, together with the following documents in support of the
application, should be sent to your licensing authority. (Please tick the boxes to confirm the following have
been submitted)
Application fee: [see note 10] (If you are unsure of the fee, please ask your licensing authority).
Supplementary information sheet (if applicable) [see note 2]
Plan of the site: [see notes 6 & 7]
Floor plan: (if explosives are to be kept on the shop floor or in a building that is to be used for other
purposes as well as the storage of explosives) [see note 8]
Please return this form to:
Renfrewshire Council
Trading Standards & Licensing Team
Renfrewshire House
Cotton Street
Or save this form and email to:
Any questions: call 0300 300 0380
For licensing authority use only:
Application form completed
Fee enclosed
Site Plan enclosed
Building Floor Plan enclosed (if applicable)
Guidance to applicants
IMPORTANT It is your responsibility to ensure you are aware of, and comply with, the Explosives Regulations 2014.
The licensing authority has the power to prohibit storage of explosives at the site if it believes the site is no longer
suitable. It may also take enforcement action if you are not storing safely.
If you are intending to supply fireworks outside the normal permitted period’s e.g. New Year, Chinese New Year,
October 15
-November 10
and Diwali, you will also need to make a separate application to your local licensing
authority for a licence to comply with the Fireworks Regulations 2004.
General information on completing the application
1. This form should not be used for an application for a licence to store the explosives listed below:
- relevant explosives
- ammunition the acquisition of which is regulated or prohibited by virtue of the Firearms Acts 1968 to 1997
- smokeless powder or percussion caps
- explosives stored by a person who is registered as a firearms dealer under section 33 of the Firearms Act 1968
If you want to store the explosives listed above, you should use form ER2
You should only use this form if you want to store less than 2000kg of explosives. If you want to store more
than 2000kg of explosives you should apply to the Health and Safety Executive for a licence. Further information on
licensing can be found at
2. If there is insufficient room to provide the information requested, please continue on a separate sheet(s). You
should also put your name and address at the top of each sheet before attaching the sheet(s) to your application form.
3. Please contact your local licensing authority if you have any questions about completing this form or about your
application. If you live in the metropolitan counties (i.e. West Midlands, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Tyne and
Wear, South and West Yorkshire) or in Oxfordshire, Cornwall or Norfolk, you will need to apply to the fire and rescue
service. In other areas you will normally need to contact the trading standards department of your local authority
4. Please note: Any previous convictions you may have may be subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
and you do not have to include convictions that are ‘spent’ on this application form. Where the application relates to a
corporate body or company convictions of all directors should be listed. Where the application relates in Scotland to a
partnership, convictions of all partners should be listed. Information on how Licensing Authorities will consider the
relevance of previous convictions to an application for a licence can be found at
5. Separation distances - please see Regulation 27 of the Explosives Regulation 2014. You will not normally be
required to maintain separation distances if you store no more than:
- 250kg HT4
- 25kg HT3 (or combination of HT3 and HT4)
- 0.1kg HT1
- 0.1kg HT2
on one site. If you are unsure whether your store or on places where you will be manufacturing or processing
explosives on site are subject to separation distances, contact your local licensing authority
The following documents should be submitted with the application form:
6. A plan to a scale sufficient to show the location of the site in relation to its surroundings (i.e. named or numbered
roads, hamlets, villages or geographical features). Where the site does not have a postal address this should normally
be a minimum scale of 1:25000.
7. If the store is subject to separation distances you will also need to provide an Ordnance Survey Siteplan (or similar)
map showing the location of the store and distances to any neighbouring buildings. The plan should also show any
areas where you intend to process or manufacture explosives where a licence for those activities is not required under
regulation 6 of ER2014. The scale will depend on the separation distance. For a distance of up to 200 metres, a
1:1250 would normally be required while greater distance would require a 1:2500 or even a SuperPlan. Where this
plan clearly identifies the location of the site in relation to its surroundings it can be substituted for the plan referred to
in 6 above.
8. If you intend to store or display more than 12.5kg of fireworks on a shop floor, the licensing authority will require you
submit a floor plan of the sales area.
9. If you intend to store, process or manufacture explosives within a building that is also used for other purposes you
should include a floor plan showing the places within the building where you intend storing, processing or
manufacturing the explosives.
10. The fee must also be submitted with the application. Information on fees can be found at, or contact your licensing authority for advice.
Hazard type and quantity
11. The licensing authority will need to know the hazard type and quantity of the explosives you wish to store to
determine whether your store is suitable. The quantity you will be allowed to store will depend on the hazard type of
the explosives. Please contact your supplier if you are uncertain about the hazard types of explosive you wish to store.
12. The “quantity” refers to the net mass’ of the explosives. This means the weight of the explosive contained within
an article i.e. less packaging, casings, etc
Period of validity
13. Licences for fireworks and other explosives that do not require an explosive certificate may be granted for up to 5
years as the licensing authority determines.