Workers' compensation claim
To make a claim for a work-related injury or illness, fill out the worker portion of this form and give to your employer. If you do not intend to file a
workers' compensation claim with SAIF Corporation, do not sign the signature line. Your employer will give you a copy.
400 High Street, S.E., Salem, OR 97312-1801
For SAIF Customer Use
Shift CC
Toll Free Phone: 1-800-285-8525
Toll Free FAX: 1-800-475-7785
Report of Job Injury
or Illness
1. Date of injury
or illness:
2. Date you
left work:
3. Shift on
day of injury:
4. Regularly scheduled days off:
5. Time of injury
or illness:
6. Time you
left work:
7. Check here if you are employed by more
than one employer:
8. What is your illness or injury? What part of the body? Which side?
(Example: sprained right foot)
Left Right
9. Worker's language preference other than English: Spanish
Other (please specify):
10. What caused it? What were you doing? Include vehicle, machinery, or tool used. (Example: fell ten feet when climbing an extension ladder carrying a 40-lb. box of
roofing materials)
11. Name of witnesses:
13. Your legal name:
14. Birthdate:
15. Gender:
17. Home phone:
20. Work phone:
16. Mailing address,
city, state and zip:
18. SSN (See #25 below):
19. Occupation:
22. If medical treatment was given away from the worksite, print name and
address of facility:
21. Name of physician or health-care professional:
23. Were you hospitalized overnight as an inpatient?
24. Were you treated in the emergency room?
26. Worker
27. Completed by
(please print):
28. Date:
Complete the rest of this form and give a copy of the form to the worker. Notify SAIF Corporation within five days of knowledge of the claim. Even if the
worker does not wish to file a claim, maintain a copy of this form.
29. Employer legal
business name:
30. Phone: 31. FEIN:
32. If worker leasing company,
list client business name:
33. Client
34. Address of principal place
of business (not P.O. box):
35. Insurance
policy no.:
36. Street address from which
worker is/was supervised: ZIP:
38. Street address, city, and
state where event occurred:
37. Nature of business in which worker
is/was supervised:
39. Was injury caused by failure of a machine or product, or by a person other than the injured worker? Yes No
41. Were other workers injured? 43. OSHA 300 log case #:
42. Did injury occur during course
and scope of job?
Unknown Yes
44. Date employer
knew of claim:
45. Worker's
weekly wage: $
46. Date worker
47. If fatal, date
of death:
52. Date:51. Name, title, and phone
(please print):
50. Employer
48. Return-to-work status: Not returned Regular
49. If returned to modified work,
is it at regular hours and wages?
Yes No
OSHA requirements: On the job fatalities and catastrophes must be reported to OR-OSHA within eight
hours. Report any accident that results in overnight hospitalization within 24 hours to OR-OSHA. Call
(800) 922-2689, (503) 378-3272, or Oregon Emergency Response (800) 452-0311, on nights and weekends.
40. Class code:
12. Have you previously injured this body part? Yes No
X801 1/05
25. By my signature, I am giving notice of a claim for workers' compensation benefits. The above information is true to the best of my knowledge and belief. I
authorize health care providers to release relevant medical records to the workers' compensation insurer, self-insured employer, claim administrator, and the
Oregon Department of Consumer and Business Services. Notice: Relevant medical records include records of prior treatment for the same conditions or of injuries
to the same area of the body. A HIPAA authorization is not required (45 CFR 164.512(I)). Release of HIV/AIDS records, certain drug and alcohol treatment
records, and other records protected by state and federal law require separate authorization.
I authorize the use of my SSN in the processing of this claim. (Authorizing the use of your SSN will ensure prompt processing of your claim and that your medical
records are not released to unauthorized parties. If you do not authorize the use of your SSN, check here .)
400 High Street, S.E., Salem, OR 97312-1801
Understanding workers' compensation claims
A guide for workers recently hurt on the job
With some exceptions you must file a workers'
compensation claim with your employer within 90 days
of injury or within one year of learning you have an
occupational injury or illness. Failure to do so may result
in denial of the claim. Knowingly making a false statement
or representation for the purpose of obtaining a benefit or
payment is punishable by law.
Form 801 is your receipt that you gave notice of a
claim. Keep a copy as your record. Your employer is
required to submit your claim to its insurer within five days.
The insurer must notify you of its acceptance or denial of
your claim within 60 days after the date your employer
knows of your claim. If your employer is self-insured, the
acceptance or denial notice will be sent by your employer
or the company your employer has hired to process its
workers' compensation claims. If your claim is denied, the
reason for the denial and your rights will be explained.
If you have questions, contact your employer's workers'
compensation insurer. If you do not know who your
insurer is, call the Employer Index in Salem at
(503) 947-7814 or toll-free (888) 877-5670.
If you have a disabling claim, your insurer will send you a
brochure called "What happens if I'm hurt on the job?" that
should answer many of your questions. If you still have
questions, call the Ombudsman for Injured Workers for
help understanding your rights and responsibilities:
(503) 378-3351, (800) 927-1271, or TTY (503) 947-7189.
For general information about benefits, call the Workers'
Compensation Division at (503) 947-7585, (800) 452-0288,
or TTY (503) 947-7993.
Tell your doctor or authorized nurse practitioner that
you were hurt on the job.
Your doctor or authorized nurse practitioner will ask you
to fill out a Form 827 – "Worker's and Physician's Report
for Workers' Compensation Claims." Your doctor or
authorized nurse practitioner will send the Form 827 to the
insurer for you.
May I get treatment from any doctor?
Unless the insurer has enrolled you in a managed-care
organization (MCO), you may treat with any medical
provider who qualifies as an "attending physician" under
Oregon law or any authorized nurse practitioner. Your
attending physician or authorized nurse practitioner is
primarily responsible for your care and will tell you if there
are any limits to the services he or she can provide.
Only your attending physician or authorized nurse
practitioner can authorize time off work, reduce your work
hours or duties, or release you to go back to work.
Who will pay my medical bills?
If your claim is accepted, the insurer will pay medical bills
related to the medical condition they accepted in writing.
Save your receipts for prescription medications,
transportation, and other bills you pay for treatment related
to the medical condition the insurer accepted. You may then
request reimbursement in writing from the insurer.
Bills are not paid if your claim is denied or if the bills are
related to a condition other than that accepted in writing by
the insurer. Contact the insurer if you have questions.
If I can't work, will I receive payments for lost wages?
You will receive temporary disability payments if your
attending physician or authorized nurse practitioner
notifies the insurer that you cannot work due to your
injuries or releases you to modified work that results in a
loss of wages. Generally, you will not be paid for the first
three calendar days of lost wages. However, you may
receive payment for those three days if you are not released
to do any type of work for at least 14 days from the time
you left work, or if you were admitted to a hospital during
your first 14 days of total disability.
If you have another job, you may be eligible to receive
supplemental disability payments. To receive these benefits,
you must notify the insurer about your other job(s) within
30 days of the insurer's receipt of your initial claim and
provide proof of wages paid to you on the other job(s) (i.e.,
check stubs or payroll records).
What can I do to make sure I receive benefits to which I
am entitled?
Find out the legal business name of your employer
and the name of its workers' compensation insurer.
The Employer Index can help you identify the insurer
if the employer is known.
Keep all medical appointments and follow your
attending physician's or authorized nurse practitioner's
Read and keep copies of all letters and forms you
receive regarding your claim.
Keep notes of phone calls, including with whom you
speak, subject matter, and dates.
Observe all deadlines. Do not be late to submit
information or to file appeals.
Contact your employer immediately when your
doctor releases you for work.
If you have questions about your claim that are not
resolved by your employer or insurer, contact the
Ombudsman for Injured Workers at (800) 927-1271.
X801 1/05