Office of International Student Services♦Liberty University, 1971 University Blvd., Lynchburg, VA 24515
Phone (434) 592-4118♦Fax (434) 582-2969♦email@example.com♦ www.liberty.edu/international
Part #1: Complete the OPT 24-Month Extension Packet:
1. Complete the I-983 along with your current supervisor
2. Copy of 24-Month Extension Application (this document)
3. Completed Form I-765
4. Original Employment Verification Letter from your current employer
5. Money Order for $410.00 made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security
6. Two photographs (Must meet US CIS Color Photograph Specifications). Quality photos must
be less than 30 days old and can be taken at the local CVS, Walgreens or Wal-Mart.
7. Final transcripts in a sealed official envelope from the Registrar’s Office (Since these will be
sent to you in a sealed envelope just scan the stamp on the envelope -do not open the
8. Color copy of student’s current I-20 with the current OPT recommendation
9. Color copies of ALL previously issued I-20s
10. Color copy of student’s valid EAD card
11. Color copy of the student’s passport
12. Color copy of the student’s I-94
13. Color copy of the student’s visa (even if it has expired)
14. Proof of all employment periods while on the first post completion OPT period (cannot exceed
more than 90 days of unemployment) - Original letters from the employers on official letterhead
will be accepted. Documents must show dates of employment and employee contact
15. Complete G-1145 for electronic filling updates (optional).
Part #2: Meet with International advisor OR send all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Appointments can be made by calling the International Student Center at 434-592-4118.
2. Your International Student Advisor will review the application, recommend OPT (if approved)
on a new I-20, and return your I-20.
3. The expected processing time for the I-20 will be 24 hours.
Part #3: Send the completed OPT Extension Application to USCIS for approval and issuance of an EAD:
1. OPT application must be received by USCIS within 30 days after the OPT I-20 is issued. Mail
the above documents via FedEx to:
Department of Homeland Security USCIS
2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business
Lewisville, TX 75067
Part #4: If for any reason you later decide not to mail your OPT STEM application to USCIS (Form I-765 plus
supporting documentation), you must notify your International Student Advisor immediately so that we may
cancel your OPT STEM recommendation in SEVIS in a timely manner. Failure to inform an OISS advisor that
you are not applying for OPT can cause problems for you in the future.
Part #5: Once you receive your Employment Authorization Document (EAD), submit a color copy to OISS.
USCIS requires that a copy of this document be kept in your file with the university. Please do not forget this
Part #6: The student’s employer must report to the OISS within 5 days when the employment is terminated. The
student must make periodic reports to the OISS with name, and address changes and any interruptions in
employment as well as completing a year self-evaluation.
Signature of Student: ____________________________ Date: ________________________
click to sign
click to edit