WARNING: If you purposely give false or misleading information, you may be fined, sent to prison or both.
Page 1 of 3
OFFICE OF STUDENT FINANCIAL AID
ROBESON COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Student Center Building 13
PO Box 1420
Lumberton, NC 28359
T 910.272.3352 Email: email@example.com
F 910.272.3314 Website: https://www.robeson.edu/fa/
2020-2021 Request for
Dependency Override Form
Student’s Name: _____________________________________________ Student ID: ____________________
Address: __________________________________________ City/State/Zip____________________________
Phone #: ______________________________________ Email: ______________________________________
There are special circumstances when the Financial Aid Office at Robeson Community College may exercise
discretion to override a student’s dependency status.
A student is automatically Independent if he/she:
• The student was born before January 1, 1997
• The student is married as of the date he/she applies
• The student is working on a master’s, doctoral degree or graduate certificate program at the beginning of the
2020-2021 school year
• The student is currently serving on active duty for purposes other than training,
• The student is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces,
• The student has dependents other than a spouse, who live and receive more than half of their support from you
between July 1, 2020 and June 30, 2021
• At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care, or were you a
dependent or ward of the court?
• The student is an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship as determined by a court in the student’s state of
• At any time on or after July 1, 2019 the student’s high school or school district homeless liaison determined that
the student was an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or was self-supporting and at risk of being homeless.
• At any time on or after July 1, 2019 the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded
by HUD determined the student was an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or was self-supporting and at
risk of being homeless.
• At any time on or after July 1, 2019 the director of a runaway homeless youth basic center or transitional living
program determined the student was an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or was self-supporting and at
risk of being homeless.
Students not meeting one of the above criteria are considered DEPENDENT by the US Department of Education
According to the Department of Education, you are NOT considered Independent if:
• Your parents refuse to contribute to your education
• Your parents are unwilling to provide information on the FAFSA or for verification
• Your parents do not claim you as a dependent for income tax purposes.
• You demonstrate total self-sufficiency