PROHIBITION OF CORPORAL PUNISHMENT MTC 1043
e of corporal punishment, defined as any act of physical force upon a student for the purpose of
punishing that student, is not acceptable at Mitchell Technical College and will not be tolerated as a
disciplinary measure. The term shall not apply, however, to the use of physical force that is reasonable
and necessary for supervisory control over students. This would include, but is not limited to, the
1. For the purpose of self defense
2. To protect other persons from physical injury
3. To protect property of the school or of others
4. To remove a student if the student has refused to comply with requests to refrain from
n the event that physical force is used, the following reporting procedure will be followed:
1. The individual who has used physical force must file a written report using the MTC Accident/Incident
form. Staff will file this report with the President. If the President has used physical force he or s
ill file the report with the Superintendent.
2. In cases where the student is under the age of 18, the parent/guardian will be notified in each case
here physical force has been used.
report shall relate all relevant details of the incident, including date, time and place, what acti
as taken, why the action was taken, and what measures, if any, had been taken to prevent the
need for such actions.
4. The report will be kept on file and be made available to the student or to the parent/guardian (if the
tudent is under the age of 18) upon request.
5. The s
tudent or the parent/guardian (if the student is under the age of 18) will be given an opportunit
o confer with the instructor and the administrators involved in the incident to discuss the situation.
The conference will take place at an agreed upon time.
6/25/18 – Appended the form used to file a written report of an incident of physical force to the President.
2/22/10 12/4/09 2/22/10