4. The LLC
Service of Process.
There two types of Agents that can be
• an individual (e.g. member, manager,
or any other individual) who resides
in California with a physical California
• a registered corporate agent qualified
with the California Secretary of State.
• An Agent for Service of Process is responsible for accepting
legal documents (e.g. service of process, lawsuits, other
types of legal notices, etc.) on behalf of the LLC.
• You must provide information for either an individual OR a
registered corporate agent, not both.
• If using a registered corporate agent, the corporation must
have a current agent registration certificate on file with the
California Secretary of State as required by Section 1505.
4a & b.
If Individual Agent:
• Enter the name of the initial agent
for service of process and the
agent’s complete California street
address, city and zip code.
• If an individual is designated as the
initial agent, complete Items 4a and
4b ONLY. Do not complete Item
• The complete street address is required, including the
street name and number, city and zip code.
• Do not enter a P.O. Box address, an “in care of” address, or
abbreviate the name of the city.
• Many times, a small LLC will designate a member or
manager as the agent for service of process.
• The individual agent should be aware that the name and the
physical street address of the agent for service of process is
a public record, open to all (as are all the addresses of the
LLC provided in filings.)
4c. If Registered Corporate Agent:
• Enter the name of the initial
registered corporate agent exactly
as registered in California.
• If a registered corporate agent is
designated as the initial agent,
complete Item 4c ONLY. Do not
complete Items 4a and 4b.
• Before a corporation is designated as agent for the LLC, that
corporation must have a current agent registration certificate
on file with the California Secretary of State as required by
stating the address(es) of the registered
corporate agent and the authorized employees that will
accept service of process of legal documents and notices on
behalf of the LLC.
• Advanced approval must be obtained from a registered
corporate agent prior to designating that corporation as your
agent for service of process.
No California or foreign corporation may register as a
California corporate agent unless the corporation currently is
authorized to engage in business in California and is in good
standing on the records of the California Secretary of State.
• Provide your Registered Corporate Agent’s exact name as
registered with the California Secretary of State. To confirm
that you are providing the exact name of the Registered
Corporate Agent, go to
5. Form LLC-5 must be signed by a person
with authority to sign according to the
laws of the state, foreign country or
other place where the LLC is formed.
• If you need more space for signatures:
- Place the additional signatures on only one side of a
sized piece of paper (8 1/2" x 11")
clearly marked as an attachment to Form LLC-5 and
attach the extra page(s) to the completed Form LLC-5.
- All attachments are part of this document.
• Multiple Form LLC-5s with different signatures will be
returned without being filed – use only one form.
• Do not include the title of the person signing.
LLC-5 Instructions (REV 08/2019)
2019 California Secretary of State