RBC Life Insurance Company Claims October 14, 2009 PAGE 2 OF 7
® Registered trademarks of Royal Bank of Canada. Used under licence.
COLLECTION AND USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Collecting your personal information
We (RBC Life Insurance Company) may from time to time collect information about you such as:
• information establishing your identity (for example, name, address, phone number, date of birth, etc.) and
your personal background;
• information related to or arising from your relationship with and through us;
• information you provide through the application and claim process for any of our insurance products and
• information for the provision of products and services.
We may collect information from you, either directly or through representatives. We may collect and confirm
this information during the course of our relationship. We may also obtain this information from a variety of
sources including hospitals, doctors and other health care providers, the MIB, Inc., the government (including
government health insurance plans) and other governmental agencies, other insurance companies, financial
institutions, motor vehicle reports, and your employer.
Using your personal information
This information may be used from time to time for the following purposes:
• to verify your identity and investigate your personal background;
• to issue and maintain insurance products and services you may request;
• to evaluate insurance risk and manage claims;
• to better understand your insurance situation;
• to determine your eligibility for insurance products and services we offer;
• to help us better understand the current and future needs of our clients;
• to communicate to you any benefit, feature and other information about products and services you have
• to help us better manage our business and your relationship with us; and
• as required or permitted by law.
For these purposes, we may make this information available to our employees, our agents and service providers, and third
parties, who are required to maintain the confidentiality of this information.
In the event our service provider is located outside of Canada, the service provider is bound by, and the
information may be disclosed in accordance with, the laws of the jurisdiction in which the service provider is
located. Third parties may include other insurance companies, the MIB, Inc. and financial institutions.
We may also use this information and share it with RBC
companies (i) to manage our risks and operations
and those of RBC companies, (ii) to comply with valid requests for information about you from regulators,
government agencies, public bodies or other entities who have a right to issue such requests, and (iii) to let
RBC companies know your choices under “Other uses of your personal information” for the sole purpose of
honouring your choices.
have your social insurance number, we may use it for tax related purposes and share it with the
appropriate government agencies.