VPS 107283 Page 2 of 3
COLLECTION AND USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Collecting your personal information
We (RBC Life Insurance Company) may from time to time collect information about you such as:
• information establishing your identity (for example, name, address, phone number, date of birth, etc.) and
your personal background;
• information related to or arising from your relationship with and through us;
• information you provide through the application and claim process for any of our insurance products and
• information for the provision of products and services.
We may collect information from you, either directly or through representatives. We may collect and conrm this
information during the course of our relationship. We may also obtain this information from a variety of sources
including hospitals, doctors and other health care providers, the MIB, Inc., the government (including government
health insurance plans) and other governmental agencies, other insurance companies, nancial institutions,
motor vehicle reports, and your employer.
Using your personal information
This information may be used from time to time for the following purposes:
• to verify your identity and investigate your personal background;
• to issue and maintain insurance products and services you may request;
• to evaluate insurance risk and manage claims;
• to better understand your insurance situation;
• to determine your eligibility for insurance products and services we offer;
• to help us better understand the current and future needs of our clients;
• to communicate to you any benet, feature and other information about products and services you have
• to help us better manage our business and your relationship with us; and
• as required or permitted by law.
For these purposes, we may make this information available to our employees, our agents and service providers,
and third parties, who are required to maintain the condentiality of this information.
In the event our service provider is located outside of Canada, the service provider is bound by, and the information
may be disclosed in accordance with, the laws of the jurisdiction in which the service provider is located. Third
parties may include other insurance companies, the MIB, Inc. and nancial institutions.
We may also use this information and share it with RBC
companies (i) to manage our risks and operations and
those of RBC companies, (ii) to comply with valid requests for information about you from regulators, government
agencies, public bodies or other entities who have a right to issue such requests, and (iii) to let RBC companies
know your choices under “Other uses of your personal information” for the sole purpose of honouring your
If we have your social insurance number, we may use it for tax related purposes and share it with the
appropriate government agencies.