1. This is a valid permit only when signed by the Local Open Burning Official.
2. The permit does not relieve the permittee of any legal liability which may be incurred as a result of the fire.
3. Failure to adhere to the conditions of the permit may result in penalties and/or other enforcement actions.
THIS PERMIT IS NOT
VALID UNDER ANY
OF THE FOLLOWING
When national or state ambient air quality standards may be exceeded.
Where a hazardous health condition might be created.
When the Air Quality Index (AQI) is predicted to be 75 or higher anywhere in the
State as indicated in the Table entitled “Predicted Daily AQI Maximums for
Month/Day/Year” as found at www.ct.gov/deep/aqi
When the Forest Fire Danger Level is high, very high, or extreme, as found at
When there is an advisory from the State of Connecticut’s Department of Energy and
Environmental Protection of any air pollution episode.
1. Open burning is limited to the activities as approved by the local Open Burning
2. Burning must cease if so directed by any member of the Town Fire Marshal's Office,
any Peace Officer, any Officer of the Fire Department, any designated municipal
official responsible for enforcing the open burning laws and ordinances or any
Official of the State of Connecticut’s Department of Energy and Environmental
3. All reasonable measures to assure complete combustion and reduce excessive
smoke are to be taken.
4. At the completion of the burn period, all embers and coals shall be extinguished so
as to prevent excessive smoke and fugitive ash emissions.
5. All reasonable safety precautions shall be taken and fire suppression/control
equipment shall be immediately available.
6. This permit must be immediately available on site during the burn.
7. Burning may only be conducted between the hours of 10:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M. on a
sunny or partly sunny day with the wind speed between five and fifteen miles per hour.
8. Burning shall not create a nuisance to nearby properties.
THIS SECTION TO BE COMPLETED BY THE LOCAL OPEN BURNING OFFICIAL
Burning may be initiated only in the presence of the Open Burning Official.
A fire crew and appropriate apparatus must be stationed at the burning site prior to
Burning may not take place when the wind is from the _____________ direction.
Final verbal approval must also be obtained on the day of and prior to the burning by
Burning must be conducted on: ____ day(s) between the following dates:
From: ____/____/____ to ____/____/____
Violation of the terms and conditions of this permit may cause the forfeiture of your
ability to qualify for a permit in the future.
In evaluating this application, did the Open Burn Official find it necessary to consult with the State of Connecticut’s
Department of Energy and Environmental Protection’s Natural Resources Management Programs – Forestry,
Wildlife, or Fisheries?
This permit is GRANTED.
This permit is NOT GRANTED for the following reasons:
Local Open Burning Official Signature: