TEMPORARY FOOD SERVICE INFORMATION
Please refer to this sheet when completing your application and retain it for future reference.
For temporary food service, your primary concerns are to:
• Obtain all food from an approved source, such as a grocery store.
• Keep perishable food cold (≤ 4°C), frozen (≤ -18°C), or hot (≥ 60°C) until use.
• Ensure all utensils, containers, and work surfaces are regularly cleaned and sanitized.
• Ensure that sanitizer solution and appropriate test strips are readily available and in use.
• Wash your hands often with warm water, liquid soap, and paper towels. Never handle food when ill.
• Keep raw foods, especially eggs, meat and fish, separate from cooked foods.
• Cook and reheat foods to ≥ 74°C.
• Where food samples are offered, use single service dispensing or limit sample distribution to food handlers.
• Ensure food handling duties are performed separately from cash handling duties.
FOOD SAFETY AND SANITATION PLANS:
For single day events with simple preparation and lower risk foods, your Operational Plan on the attached application may
also serve as your Food Safety and Sanitation Plan. For multiday events and those with more complicated menus and/or
higher risk foods, separate Food Safety and Sanitation Plans are required in addition to the application. Plan templates and
instructions are available-refer to www.viha.ca
and use the search tool.
• Wash hands before starting work, after using the toilet and whenever contamination may have occurred.
• Provide liquid soap and paper towel, and ensure an adequate amount of potable water is available at all times.
• Dispose of wastewater into a sewer connection (via toilet or laundry sink) or appropriate sewerage system.
TEMPORARY HAND WASH STATION EXAMPLE:
SCALE DRAWING OF LAYOUT:
The application requires a detailed scale drawing of how you will set up your temporary food service.
• All equipment for food storage &
preparation (counters, fridges, freezers, hot
holding, BBQs etc.)
• Storage of utensils and single service items.
• Location of hand washing stations(s)
• Location of dish washing station(s)
• Wastewater and garbage collection
• Flooring & overhead cover (e.g. tent)
events and those with
higher risk foods
portable hand wash
sinks with supply and
wastewater tanks or
Temporary hand wash
stations are suitable
for shorter, lower risk
an EHO if you are
unsure whether more
is required for your
PORTABLE HAND SINK EXAMPLE