August 7, 2013
Form W-4 (2014)
Purpose. Complete Form W-4 so that your
employer can withhold the correct federal income
tax from your pay. Consider completing a new Form
W-4 each year and when your personal or financial
situation changes.
Exemption from withholding. If you are exempt,
complete only lines 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7 and sign the
form to validate it. Your exemption for 2014 expires
February 16, 2015. See Pub. 505, Tax Withholding
and Estimated Tax.
Note. If another person can claim you as a
dependent on his or her tax return, you cannot claim
exemption from withholding if your income exceeds
$X,XXX and includes more than $XXX of unearned
income (for example, interest and dividends).
Basic instructions. If you are not exempt, complete
the Personal Allowances Worksheet below. The
worksheets on page 2 further adjust your
withholding allowances based on itemized
deductions, certain credits, adjustments to income,
or two-earners/multiple jobs situations.
Complete all worksheets that apply. However, you
may claim fewer (or zero) allowances. For regular
wages, withholding must be based on allowances
you claimed and may not be a flat amount or
percentage of wages.
Head of household. Generally, you can claim head
of household filing status on your tax return only if
you are unmarried and pay more than 50% of the
costs of keeping up a home for yourself and your
dependent(s) or other qualifying individuals. See
Pub. 501, Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and
Filing Information, for information.
Tax credits. You can take projected tax credits into
account in figuring your allowable number of
withholding allowances. Credits for child or
dependent care expenses and the child tax credit
may be claimed using the Personal Allowances
Worksheet below. See Pub. 505 for information on
converting your other credits into withholding
Nonwage income. If you have a large amount of
nonwage income, such as interest or dividends,
consider making estimated tax payments using Form
1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals. Otherwise, you
may owe additional tax. If you have pension or annuity
income, see Pub. 505 to find out if you should adjust
your withholding on Form W-4 or W-4P.
Two earners or multiple jobs. If you have a
working spouse or more than one job, figure the
total number of allowances you are entitled to claim
on all jobs using worksheets from only one Form
W-4. Your withholding usually will be most accurate
when all allowances are claimed on the Form W-4
for the highest paying job and zero allowances are
claimed on the others. See Pub. 505 for details.
Nonresident alien. If you are a nonresident alien,
see Notice 1392, Supplemental Form W-4
Instructions for Nonresident Aliens, before
completing this form.
Check your withholding. After your Form W-4 takes
effect, use Pub. 505 to see how the amount you are
having withheld compares to your projected total tax
for 2014. See Pub. 505, especially if your earnings
exceed $XXX,XXX (Single) or $XXX,XXX (Married).
Future developments. Information about any future
developments affecting Form W-4 (such as
legislation enacted after we release it) will be posted
Personal Allowances Worksheet (Keep for your records.)
A Enter “1” for yourself if no one else can claim you as a dependent . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A
B Enter “1” if:
• You are single and have only one job; or
• You are married, have only one job, and your spouse does not work; or . . .
Your wages from a second job or your spouse’s wages (or the total of both) are $X,XXX or less.
Enter “1” for your spouse. But, you may choose to enter “-0-” if you are married and have either a working spouse or more
than one job. (Entering “-0-” may help you avoid having too little tax withheld.) . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
D Enter number of dependents (other than your spouse or yourself) you will claim on your tax return . . . . . . . . D
E Enter “1” if you will file as head of household on your tax return (see conditions under Head of household above) . . E
F Enter “1” if you have at least $X,XXX of child or dependent care expenses for which you plan to claim a credit . . . F
(Note. Do not include child support payments. See Pub. 503, Child and Dependent Care Expenses, for details.)
G Child Tax Credit (including additional child tax credit). See Pub. 972, Child Tax Credit, for more information.
• If your total income will be less than $XX,XXX ($XX,XXX if married), enter “2” for each eligible child; then less “1” if you
have three to six eligible children or less “2” if you have seven or more eligible children.
• If your total income will be between $XX,XXX and $XX,XXX ($XX,XXX and $XXX,XXX if married), enter “1” for each eligible child . .
Add lines A through G and enter total here. (Note. This may be different from the number of exemptions you claim on your tax return.)
For accuracy,
complete all
that apply.
If you plan to itemize or claim adjustments to income and want to reduce your withholding, see the Deductions
and Adjustments Worksheet on page 2.
If you are single and have more than one job or are married and you and your spouse both work and the combined
earnings from all jobs exceed
$XX,XXX ($XX,XXX if married), see the Two-Earners/Multiple Jobs Worksheet on page 2 to
avoid having too little tax withheld.
If neither of the above situations applies, stop here and enter the number from line H on line 5 of Form W-4 below.
Separate here and give Form W-4 to your employer. Keep the top part for your records.
Form W-4
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate
Whether you are entitled to claim a certain number of allowances or exemption from withholding is
subject to review by the IRS. Your employer may be required to send a copy of this form to the IRS.
OMB No. 1545-0074
1 Your first name and middle initial Last name
Home address (number and street or rural route)
City or town, state, and ZIP code
2 Your social security number
Single Married Married, but withhold at higher Single rate.
Note. If married, but legally separated, or spouse is a nonresident alien, check the “Single” box.
If your last name differs from that shown on your social security card,
check here. You must call 1-800-772-1213 for a replacement card.
5 Total number of allowances you are claiming (from line H above or from the applicable worksheet on page 2) 5
6 Additional amount, if any, you want withheld from each paycheck . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6
7 I claim exemption from withholding for 2014, and I certify that I meet both of the following conditions for exemption.
• Last year I had a right to a refund of all federal income tax withheld because I had no tax liability, and
• This year I expect a refund of all federal income tax withheld because I expect to have no tax liability.
If you meet both conditions, write “Exempt” here . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this certificate and, to the best of my knowledge and belief, it is true, correct, and complete.
Employee’s signature
(This form is not valid unless you sign it.)
8 Employer’s name and address (Employer: Complete lines 8 and 10 only if sending to the IRS.)
9 Office code (optional)
10 Employer identification number (EIN)
For Privacy Act and Paperwork Reduction Act Notice, see page 2.
Cat. No. 10220Q
Form W-4 (2014)