CRS Individual Self-Certification Form
Please read these instructions before completing the form
Why are we asking you to complete this form?
To help protect the integrity of tax systems, governments around the world are introducing a new
information gathering and reporting requirement for financial institutions. This is known as the
Common Reporting Standard (the CRS’).
Under the CRS, we are required to determine where you are ‘tax resident’ (this will usually be where you
are liable to pay income taxes). If you are tax resident outside the country where your account is held
we may need to give the national tax authority this information, along with information relating to your
accounts. That may then be shared between different countries’ tax authorities.
Completing this form will ensure that we hold accurate and up to date information about your tax residency.
If your circumstances change and any of the information provided in this form becomes incorrect,
please let us know immediately and provide an updated Self-Certification.
Who should complete the CRS Individual Self-Certification Form?
Personal banking customers or sole traders should complete this form.
If you need to self-certify on behalf of an entity (which includes businesses, trusts and partnerships),
complete an ‘Entity Tax Residency Self-Certification Form’ (CRS-E). Similarly, if you are a controlling
person of an entity, complete a ‘Controlling Person Tax Residency Self-Certification Form’ (CRS-CP).
You can find these forms at:
For joint account holders, each individual will need to complete a copy of the form.
Even if you have already provided information in relation to the United States Government’s Foreign
Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), you may still need to provide additional information for the
CRS as this is a separate regulation.
If you are completing this form on behalf of someone else, please ensure that you let them know that you
have done so and tell us in what capacity you are signing in Part 3. For example, you might be completing
this form as a custodian or nominee of an account, under a Power of Attorney or as a legal guardian on
behalf of an account holder who is a minor.
Where to go for further information
If you have any questions about this form or these instructions please visit:
contact your Relationship Manager, visit a branch or call us.
The ‘Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development’ (OECD) has developed the rules to
be used by all governments participating in the CRS and these can be found on the OECD’s
Automatic Exchange of Information’ (AEOI) website:
If you have any questions on how to define your tax residency status, please visit the OECD website
or speak to a professional tax adviser as we are not allowed to give tax advice.
You can find a list of definitions in the Appendix.
Individual Tax Residency CRS – I
Self-Certification Form
Part 1
Identification of Individual Account Holder
A. Name of Account Holder:
Family Name or
Title Mr Mrs Ms Miss Other
First or Given
Middle Name(s)
B. Current Residence Address:
Line 1 House/Apt/Suite
Name, Number, Street)
Line 2 Town / Cit y
Country Postal Code / ZIP code
C. Mailing Address: (please only complete if different from the address shown in Section B above)
Line 1 House/Apt/Suite
Name, Number, Street)
Line 2 Town / Cit y
Country Postal Code / ZIP code
D. Date of birth
E. Place of birth
Town or City of Birth
Country of Birth
Please complete Parts 1– 3 in BLOCK CAPITALS
Part 2
Country of Residence for Tax Purposes and related Taxpayer Identification Number
or functional equivalent (“TIN”) (See Appendix)
Please complete the following table indicating:
(i) where the Account Holder is a tax resident;
(ii) the Account Holder’s TIN for each country indicated.
If the Account Holder is tax resident in more than three countries please use a separate sheet
If a TIN is unavailable please provide the appropriate reason A, B or C:
Reason A The country where the Account Holder is liable to pay tax does not issue TINs
to its residents
Reason B The Account Holder is otherwise unable to obtain a TIN or equivalent number
(Please explain why you are unable to obtain a TIN in the below table if you have
selected this reason)
Reason C No TIN is required. (Note. Only select this reason if the authorities of the country of
tax residence entered below do not require the TIN to be disclosed)
Country of tax residence TIN
If no TIN available enter
Reason A, B or C
Please explain in the following boxes why you are unable to obtain a TIN if you selected Reason B above.
Individual Tax Residency Self-Certification Form Please complete Parts 1– 3 in BLOCK CAPITALS
Part 3
Declarations and Signature
I understand that the information supplied by me is covered by the full provisions of the terms and conditions governing
the Account Holders relationship with HSBC setting out how HSBC may use and share the information supplied by me.
I acknowledge that the information contained in this form and information regarding the Account Holder and any
Reportable Account(s) may be provided to the tax authorities of the country in which this account(s) is/are maintained
and exchanged with tax authorities of another country or countries in which the Account Holder may be tax resident
pursuant to intergovernmental agreements to exchange financial account information.
I certify that I am the Account Holder (or am authorised to sign for the Account Holder) of all the account(s) to which this
form relates.
I certify that where I have provided information regarding any other person (such as a Controlling Person or other
Reportable Person to which this form relates) that I will, within 30 days of signing this form, notify those persons that I
have provided such information to HSBC and that such information may be provided to the tax authorities of the country
in which the account(s) is/are maintained and exchanged with tax authorities of another country or countries in which the
person may be tax resident pursuant to intergovernmental agreements to exchange financial account information.
I declare that all statements made in this declaration
are, to the best of my knowledge and belief, correct
and complete.
I undertake to advise HSBC within 30 days of any change
in circumstances which affects the tax residency status of
the individual identified in Part 1 of this form or causes the
information contained herein to become incorrect, and to
provide HSBC with a suitably updated self-certification and
Declaration within 90 days of such change in circumstances.
Print name:
Note: If you are not the Account Holder please indicate the
capacity in which you are signing the form. If signing
under a power of attorney please also attach a
certified copy of the power of attorney.
Individual Tax Residency Self-Certification Form Please complete Parts 1– 3 in BLOCK CAPITALS
click to sign
click to edit
Appendix – Definitions
Account Holder’ The term ‘Account Holder’ means the person listed or identified as the holder of a Financial Account.
A person, other than a Financial Institution, holding a Financial Account for the benefit of another person as an agent, a
custodian, a nominee, a signatory, an investment advisor, an intermediary, or as a legal guardian, is not treated as the
Account Holder. In these circumstances that other person is the Account Holder. For example in the case of a parent/
child relationship where the parent is acting as a legal guardian, the child is regarded as the Account Holder. With respect
to a jointly held account, each joint holder is treated as an Account Holder.
‘Controlling Person’ This is a natural person who exercises control over an entity. Where an entity Account
Holder is treated as a Passive Non-Financial Entity (NFE’) then a Financial Institution must determine whether such
Controlling Persons are Reportable Persons. This definition corresponds to the term ‘beneficial owner’ as described in
Recommendation 10 of the Financial Action Task Force Recommendations (as adopted in February 2012).
If the account is maintained for an entity of which the individual is a Controlling Person, then the
‘Controlling Person tax residency Self-Certification’ form should be completed instead of this form.
‘Entity The term ‘Entity’ means a legal person or a legal arrangement, such as a corporation, organisation, partnership,
trust or foundation.
‘Financial Account A Financial Account is an account maintained by a Financial Institution and includes: Depository
Accounts; Custodial Accounts; Equity and debt interest in certain Investment Entities; Cash Value Insurance Contracts;
and Annuity Contracts.
‘Participating Jurisdiction’ A Participating Jurisdiction means a jurisdiction with which an agreement is in place
pursuant to which it will provide the information required on the automatic exchange of financial account information set
out in the Common Reporting Standard.
‘Reportable Account The term ‘Reportable Account’ means an account held by one or more Reportable Persons or by
a Passive NFE with one or more Controlling Persons that is a Reportable Person
‘Reportable Jurisdiction’ A Reportable Jurisdiction is a jurisdiction with which an obligation to provide financial account
information is in place.
‘Reportable Person’ A Reportable Person is defined as an individual who is tax resident in a Reportable Jurisdiction
under the tax laws of that jurisdiction. Dual resident individuals may rely on the tiebreaker rules contained in tax
conventions (if applicable) to solve cases of double residence for purposes of determining their residence for tax
‘TIN’ (including ‘functional equivalent’) The term ‘TIN’ means Taxpayer Identification Number or a functional equivalent
in the absence of a TIN. A TIN is a unique combination of letters or numbers assigned by a jurisdiction to an individual or
an Entity and used to identify the individual or Entity for the purposes of administering the tax laws of such jurisdiction.
Further details of acceptable TINs can be found at the following link:
Some jurisdictions do not issue a TIN. However, these jurisdictions often utilise some other high integrity number with
an equivalent level of identification (a ‘functional equivalent). Examples of that type of number include, for individuals, a
social security/insurance number, citizen/personal identification/service code/number, and resident registration number.
Note: These are selected definitions provided to assist you with the completion of this form. Further details
can be found within the OECD Common Reporting Standard for Automatic Exchange of Financial
Account Information (the CRS’), the associated Commentary to the CRS, and domestic guidance.
This can be found at the following link:
If you have any questions then please contact your tax adviser or domestic tax authority.